11 week old is a meanie!

Pineywoods Peepers

Certified Poultry Accruer
11 Years
Jun 5, 2010
Pineywoods of East Texas
So I have an EE cockrel (that was supposed to be a pullet!) who is pretty mean to my other birds. About a week ago he started going up to the other chicks (but not my Wellie cockerel) and grabbing them by the neck and biting really hard for several seconds. He doesn't pull out any feathers or draw blood, but the other chick starts squawking bloody murder when he bites them. Is this normal pecking order behavior, or is this typical adolescent cockerel behavior? I haven't noticed any of my other birds doing this to one another. They do peck each other every now and then and posture some, but he's definitely the most aggressive.

I had an EE cockerel (supposed pullet as well) and when he was 5-6 weeks old he started acting like a bully sort as well. I think it's a mix of normal cockerel pecking order, but I ended up rehoming my boy asap to a place where he had 10-12 pullets his age. I also only had 3 other pullets with him so now I think his rooster behavior is evenly distributed in the bigger flock. Not sure if this helps heh, but just my experience
smile.png

It's a cockerel thing, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's a desirable cockerel thing :p Watch him real close, because that could progress to pulling and tearing as he gets older, especially if he hits puberty before the ladies and they don't want to put up with his "attentions". Or it could just transition into a gentle "love bite" once the others are ready to accept him. It all depends.

Back
Top Bottom