11 week old Sussex sitting down!

sorry I didn't get back to you.
BUT

At work, my father was talking to a coworker and they were talking about chicken diseases, and his friend said that he thought his chicken had cancer bcuz she was weak not acting normal doing all sorts of weird laying down things, she died, but can chickens get cancer? I will ask more about that and get back to you.

ALSO

My chicken Cumberbatch was almost crop heavy like she couldn't get her chest off the floor. We thought it was a sour crop so I treated her for that and she started to act better, but she lost 9 ounces and stopped eating. She could walk and stand and everyone thought she was getting better.

but in the beginning, she was panting and wobbled around.

If you want the whole story:

don't know if she will make it through the night! Need Help NOWWWWW!!!!!

look for this thread and read the whole story.

I will get back you yall with more info

HAVEAGOODONE!!!

Thanks for you reply. Yes I believe chickens (like any animal really) can get cancer and I'm sure I've read threads on here about peoples chickens having cancer. On palpation no signs of any odd lumps, not loosing weight (that I can tell).
RIP Cumberbatch - Mabels crop seems to be filling and emptying normally with no bad smell or anything so think I'm good there.

I thought that I would document here what I have been researching in my quest to find out what is wrong with my lovely Mabel just in case it could help someone else in the future. There was a slight thing that I noticed the other day that I'm not sure if I'd mentioned but when I read this I remembered - one of her feet was kind of fisted up a couple of times which I thought was weird. I found a vet website that has a page on all the vitamin deficiencies which I thought was a really good resource: https://www.msdvetmanual.com/poultr...ement-poultry/vitamin-deficiencies-in-poultry
I read this and it struck a chord:
Many tissues may be affected by riboflavin deficiency, although the epithelium and the myelin sheaths of some of the main nerves are major targets. Changes in the sciatic nerves produce “curled-toe” paralysis in growing chickens.
Not sure if I'm overthinking this but it seems it could be a possibility.
This comment is on a blog and I would rather refer to scientific information (being a RN and RM :D) but even so it is what originally got me to look further as it does seem to describe Mabel:
Riboflavin (Vitamin B2)
Riboflavin deficiencies can first appear during day 10 in the incubating egg. Chicks born with riboflavin deficiencies can be seen with curled toes and laying down with their legs extended. They can be lethargic and seen walking around on their hocks using their wings as walking aids.
From https://www.tillysnest.com/2014/03/vitamin-deficiencies-in-backyard-chicks-html/

I have changed the food over to crumbs which have lots of vitamins added (although not B2) , I'm giving the vitamin water additive which is meant to be given for 8 days which has it and their grit also seems to have some added vitamins (I haven't checked if it has B2 or not and it is dark out there now so dont' want to disturb them) so I'm thinking that I'm doing all the right things for her if it is that! The Tillynest post also says:
Natural Sources: spinach, soybeans, beet greens, asparagus, eggs
Interesting about the egg as last week I did give them eggs twice - I can' remember but wonder if this was when she perked up last week.What do you all think, do you tWhat do you all think, do you think I've hit on it?hink I've hit on it?

What do you all think, do you think I've hit on it?

Oh and the other random thing I noticed are her ears (I think they are her ears - the flat things on the side of her head?)seem to be quite red but I'm not sure if the were like that before or not and if it is relevant. I'm sure I saw a thread somewhere about how crests / ears etc are supposed to look for different breeds. Off to find it!

Thanks @pasuit really sounds like something that could be a possibility worth keeping in mind and I certainly will when I check on her - particularly considering it has pretty much been raining here since she was born so she has had very little sun! Oops ignore that was thinking vitamin d!

On the upside this morning she was up and about when I went out to her and I've put them out in their day play area so even though it is a bit overcast and a few showers they are outside (I've set up a shelter for them to go under if it rains. I wouldn't say she was 100% - she seems not quite steady on her feet. She did happily do a little flying practice when first let go outside and seems quite happy. I must go down and check on her actually I've been out for a bit.

Perhaps a video of her actions that are most concerning to you will shed some light on what you're asking.
Photos of her poop?

If you have a vet that can perform a fecal float, that's always a good idea.

Perhaps a video of her actions that are most concerning to you will shed some light on what you're asking.
Photos of her poop?

If you have a vet that can perform a fecal float, that's always a good idea.
Thanks for your reply @Wyorp Rock . Her poop seems fine but I think if she goes downhill again I'll see if such a thing as a fecal float exists here in France! They are a lot more ....... pragmatic might be the word about their chickens here from everyone I've spoken to!

They are now on day 3 of the vitamins added to the water and she seems to have really perked up, didn't see her doing her lethargic 'sitting' thing that she was doing earlier this week today (although stuck in the coop so harder to see) but she was much improved yesterday too. I'm just hoping that I did find the solution (ie riboflavin / B2 ) as I discussed in my post above and that giving her the vitamins has sorted her out! If she goes down hill again I'll get a video - great thought!

Thanks for your reply @Wyorp Rock . Her poop seems fine but I think if she goes downhill again I'll see if such a thing as a fecal float exists here in France! They are a lot more ....... pragmatic might be the word about their chickens here from everyone I've spoken to!

They are now on day 3 of the vitamins added to the water and she seems to have really perked up, didn't see her doing her lethargic 'sitting' thing that she was doing earlier this week today (although stuck in the coop so harder to see) but she was much improved yesterday too. I'm just hoping that I did find the solution (ie riboflavin / B2 ) as I discussed in my post above and that giving her the vitamins has sorted her out! If she goes down hill again I'll get a video - great thought!

Back
Top Bottom