11 weeks, no eggs

Catalo2114

In the Brooder
Oct 2, 2018
I have 5 Buff Orppingtons that have not laid a single egg in 11 weeks, since the beginning of November. We had a sudden change in the temperatures and a snow storm at Halloween then started construction on an addition about 25 feet from the coop. Nothing else about their food, water or habitat has changed. Could the change in temperatures coupled with the noise of the construction have caused stress that in turn caused them to stop laying? I'm really at a loss here. Any thoughts or advice?

How old? Mine just started laying again after a very long hiatus from molting. I have 11 three year olds and 8 two year olds. Once one started molting they all stopped and have slowly started laying again now that everyone has all their feathers back. We live in NC so our weather has been pretty mild up until this past week. They always slow down in the winter. I'm sure it has been very cold there. Maybe stress from the construction, too?

Chickens generally need a certain amount of light to lay. I've read 12hrs is ideal. My hens seem fine with about 9.5 hrs. Any less than that and they take a break. Many folks choose supplement light in the darkest days of winter. If you go that route, it's best to add the light to the morning hours, rather than at night, to give the chickens time to get settled for the night with a natural sunset instead of sudden pitch blackness.

Chickens also molt in the fall before winter (or sometimes during winter!) to get a nice warm coat, and they'll shut down egg production while they're growing in new feathers.

Mine stopped laying in November, molted, and finally started laying again this week. Hope yours start soon too!

I'm glad to see this post. Mine haven't laid in months. Had 5 that all molted and production completely stopped. I keep scolding them for making buy store eggs, but they don't seem to care. Previous flocks I've gotten eggs during the winter, just less than normal. Spoiled rotten slackers. Lol

I have 5 Buff Orppingtons that have not laid a single egg in 11 weeks, since the beginning of November. We had a sudden change in the temperatures and a snow storm at Halloween then started construction on an addition about 25 feet from the coop. Nothing else about their food, water or habitat has changed. Could the change in temperatures coupled with the noise of the construction have caused stress that in turn caused them to stop laying? I'm really at a loss here. Any thoughts or advice?
They need light. 16 hours of light a day to lay eggs. When the seasons change and daylight decreases we tend to see a decrease in egg production. Provide them a simple light. No special light bulb required. #AGTeacher

How old are your birds, in months?
Do you free range?

Also....
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
1579993169730.png

How old? Mine just started laying again after a very long hiatus from molting. I have 11 three year olds and 8 two year olds. Once one started molting they all stopped and have slowly started laying again now that everyone has all their feathers back. We live in NC so our weather has been pretty mild up until this past week. They always slow down in the winter. I'm sure it has been very cold there. Maybe stress from the construction, too?
They're almost 3 years old and this is the first time they've stopped laying. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom