11 y/o Rooster has bumps/rash on legs

Phookahorse

In the Brooder
Apr 16, 2020
I have an 11 year-old rooster who lives in two different coops joined together. There is straw put down for him so he has a nice dry area. His food and water are changed daily. He also gets to run around in larger pen a few hours a day as well. This afternoon when I went out he had some mud dried on his legs (it's been rainy) so I took him out to wash the mud off. When I washed all of the mud off, I noticed that it looked like the area where the feathers stop at the leg looked bloody. I washed the blood away and it appeared that there were some odd reddish bumps on his legs (I included a few pictures). The area that is raw/bloody and looks kind of bumpy/fleshy is about 1 1/2 of an inch in length- above that the skin looks fine.

I have never seen anything like this before. I cleaned the area with some betadine and put some antiseptic salve on it because I didn't know what else to do. I tried looking up what this might be but other than seeing a ton of incredibly gross pictures on the internet, I couldn't find anything. There is no heat. His appetite is good and he's been the same jerk he always is, so it hasn't affected his energy level. His comb is red and there is no discharge anywhere.

Does anyone have an idea of what this might be? The feathers are wet because I washed him off, and the yellowish color was from the betadine. Other than the red, there is no discoloration or discharge.

IMG_8075.jpg
IMG_8074.jpg

I don't know exactly what this is, but do think of a possibility. :idunno
Maybe he has leg mites,, and was trying, picking them off with his beak. Did injury to self.
There are multiple ways to treat leg mites. I always choose the least chemical way. I smeared Crisco shortening, (margarine will work) on legs. It suffocated the mites.
Many peeps use Vaseline. I choose something eatable. Vaseline is supposed to be safe, but I would not eat it myself, so I choose Crisco.
I did this a few days in a row, and had no issues afterward.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and,:welcome

Thank you for your replies. Here are a few more pictures so you can better see the issue. It doesn't look any worse, and he's not pecking at the area at all. I included a picture of his entire foot- pardon the amputated toe (a sheep stepped on it, which is why he lives in a separate coop now).
IMG_8196.jpg IMG_8194.jpg IMG_8193.jpg

Thank you for your replies. Here are a few more pictures so you can better see the issue. It doesn't look any worse, and he's not pecking at the area at all. I included a picture of his entire foot- pardon the amputated toe (a sheep stepped on it, which is why he lives in a separate coop now).
View attachment 2106525View attachment 2106526View attachment 2106527

I see this post is almost a couple years old. I noticed my rooster (Prince Albert), has the same type of skin condition. Not that bad, but I was wondering if your rooster healed and what treatment did you end up using? Currently, I am cleaning both legs 2x a day with Vetercyn then add a thin layer of neosporin, a layer of either the blue Hen Healer or Corona ointment and top it off with some Pick-No-More cover up lotion. I've done this for 3 days and don't see much change . . . but has not gotten worse. No more bleeding, just raw looking. I also was thinking of mites ...even though it is January in the Northwest, so I sprayed his coop and Albert with Poultry Protector. I am also giving him some left over Clavamox (antibiotic) left over from my little hen who had an injury. Do you or anyone else reading this have any other suggestions based on your experience with this condition? Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom