110.3 Degrees!![b]HELP[/b]

brooster

Songster
12 Years
Jun 14, 2007
northwest Ohio
It is 110 degrees and super humid
barnie.gif
. My chickens arent used to the heat i have a fan in the coop and the water inside and out has ice in it. Nothing is helping! There has to be something to cool them off.
fl.gif

Last edited:
Hi, can you run so water on the ground for awhile?? Only other thing I can think of is a shallow pool for them with some frozen bottled water??? I have a couple of homemade pools for my chickens.They are made out of 2 by 4's nailed together in a square shape & a piece of bisque for the bottom to hold water, helps my girls out alot.
I'll keep milk jugs fill with water & freeze them to put in the pool.
I hope you chickens do okay. I'm ready for fall myself.
Miriam

I read here some time back about filling plastic bags with water and freezing them and allowing the chickens to sit on them.

Wow...110 in Ohio...you better change your screen name to "broaster"...because it sounds hot enough to broast your chickens. Just make sure they have shade and cold water. Don't feed them any corn scratch and try to not disturb them.

I live in Nevada, and last week we hit 117 and we are suppose to be over 110 for a while and one thing i did was to freeze up some plain yogurt, cottage cheese, and some of their other fav snacks and give it to em in the hottest part of the day. My 4 REALLY enjoyed that! I also took to physically "hosing" em down. One other thing i found that worked well to was to add electrolytes to their water as well as about 1 tablespoon of ACV to every gal of drinking water. The ACV is because i found that they have a tendency to eat less in hot weather and it helps em to absorb more of the nutrients of what they do eat.

Forrest

Electric FANS!! I thought it was a crazy idea to use fans for cooling-but it helps my birds SO much! It is the quickenst way to help cool them down and get the hot air circulated away from them. I run extension cords to the coop and to the run and brooder when its this hot. My thermometer said 110 yesterday.

http://p072.ezboard.com/fbackyardchickensfrm1.showMessage?topicID=22798.topic
The
link above is stickied at the EZ location of BYC and are most of my collected articles on heatstress and how to deal with it.
In addition I would just like to add my vote to the advice given here on providing water to cool them through their feet...this is very effective.
Last summer when it was so hot here I noticed that my birds were really not drinking sufficiently (even though I refreshed their water every few hours and added electrolytes regularly)... so I put out watermelon... boy did they go for that!!!
I also do not believe the water should be ICEcold... (when a bird is dehydrated it is always advised not to give cold water )...just ensure it is cool and fresh and set out in several places so they do not have to expend energy to get to it.
Lastly...perhaps a crazy idea but if you dig an underground "cave" for them in a shaded spot would this also not be cooler than on the surface???

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom