110 degrees today, has anyone lost any chickens in this heat??

I have 3 in the house now. One has been in for 2 weeks, I am scared to put him back outside, he is a super nice blue cockerel. Don't want him to have another heat stroke. The black pullet has wry neck for the second time.

I just brought my Black/Lav split (multi-colored boy) inside 2 days ago. He wasn't doing good at all.

I hose their coops off every day, several times a day. Give them ice water, frozen fruits and yogurt.

I'm so sorry to all of you that have had chickens die from the heat. I can't even imagine. I'm sure you are doing the best that you can! At times like this I am thankful I live in a rainful state, Washington. This morning it was raining again. It put me in a bad mood, there is so much I would like to get done outside. So of course I get on BYC! and I find you guys suffering in the heat and have to worry about all your chickens over heating. I'm so sorry, my thoughts are with you!

I think I lost one to the heat, fine one day, gone the next. She might've been sitting in the nest box and it was too hot.
hu.gif
But I hate this heat and thankfully it is not too humid here, maybe about 30 or 40% humidity. It finally rained a little today (like 1/2") and there are some clouds so the temperature was down but humidity was up. The poor birds didn't look too bad today though.

Condolences to everyone who's lost any chickens to the heat. This is why I like fall weather..

I do what it takes to keep them doing well but Ice and misters and AC and such aren't really helping the birds become accustomed to the heat and tough conditions, and keeping birds in the house is just plain out of the question for any reason for any amount of time, I don't do house chickens LOL, besides I have way too many and my birds don't have names or hairdo's or frilly aprons, so I will have to do it the real way. I did however breakdown and get a few box fans for the breeding pens a few years back LOL.

Well, so far, no dead chickens, and I do have a nice big fan I ordered from Tek-supply last year. It helps some I think. We are changing the water twice a day, and checking on them.

Yes, I think this is where the devil goes when it gets cold in hell. LOL.

Can you imagine what the folks that lived here smelled like 100 years ago??

DonnaBelle

I am brand new with chickens, as of May 18, 2011, and now I feel lucky. The girls are out in the Iowa heat and humidity all day, and then they roost/rest on my kitchen breakfast bar all night. They love to hunker down under my giant hostas and also to snooze on a bed of mini hostas. I am still working on the chicken condo, and I thank all of you for making me aware of potential heat problems when I shut them up at night - without air conditioning!

107 real temp, 110 heat index
somad.gif
(that's hotter than this smiley)
We lost our Black-tail Buff Japanese Bantam the 17th after we got and hooked up misters (it was too late for her).
hit.gif

We run the misters in the shadiest area of the coop/run with box fans behind them to move the moist air into the coop (where most of our chickens hang out when it's hot). It seems to be working, keeps the coop 20-25 degrees cooler than outside. They go in and out as they please. But they have to walk under the mister to do so. That's how I got them use to the mister.
I make sure their water is full throughout the day/night, and run 1 fan at night to help keep the coop air circulating.
Now when the temp gets to 100 they tell me it's time to turn misters on
rant.gif
I can tell by their squawk.

Keep your chickens cool and Good Luck Everyone...

Last edited:
Does anyone have any knowledge to share on raising chicks in this heat? We'll be getting 30 pullets in the middle of next week. Can they take the heat? What is the threshold? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jason

Quote:
If you are having them shipped during extreme heat, don't! So many folks lose birds in transit when they are shipped in extreme conditions and unfortunately many hatcheries don't put a stop on shipping when they should. It's up to the customer to act on behalf of the birds.

JJ

Back
Top Bottom