114 today and we put in a window unit - Now they wont come out!

dbounds10

Crowing
13 Years
Mar 15, 2011
Fort Worth, Tx
I put this in the coop maintenance section but I think it should have gone here, so I am putting it here. Dont know how to delete from the other section, sorry.

So its currently 114 outside. My girls are panting up a storm and are laying next to the kiddie pool I put in there yesterday. They drink from it but wont go in..bummer. So we put an old window unit on a stand in front of one of their windows. Its nice and cool in the coop but they wont go in even with spinach, their favorite treat. I picked them up and put them in and they ran right back out. Could it be they are scared of the noise or that its now TOO cool inside?

I plan to turn it off at night and just use the fan but during this unbearable Texas heat wave I thought they would enjoy a cool place to go in for a few minutes to cool off. Granted it has only been up for about 5 minutes but I thought I would get some feedback from the experts. The coop is only 6x4 so i would guess its around 75 degrees inside. I closed all the other windows and just the pop door is open. If you think maybe thats too cold I would open some of the other windows.

Thoughts please?

Last edited:
In August 2007, we had temps over 100 F for more than three weeks (with heat index over 110 F); one day, I remember 108 F with heat index of 120F. In addition to fans 24/7 and across the roosts and nest boxes, I provided permanent shade. I also ran a hose in the run at a trickle. It created a little stream. The birds would stand in the cool water. I had a heck of a water bill, but I did not lose a bird.

This year I have lost one hen already. She was broody and I failed to break her up; she died on the nest. We have been between 95-100 this week & today with heat index at 103-105 -- it feels like a sauna outside. I am running fans even at night (especially if the thermometer doesn't dip below 75 F and if it is as humid as it has been here (i.e. very high)), I notice the birds pant on the roost. My birds have permanent shade, and I make sure they have plenty of water. I have a group of 26 - four month olds that are drinking 4 gallons of water per day.

Another thing I do is give them some ice cold watermelon. This occupies them eating something cold and getting plenty of water. Obviously, I can't do this everyday but on real hot days, it seems to make them feel better.

We are at 116 as of 3:00 pm today. Unbelievable.

It is hotter in Oklahoma than it is in Texas. Wow!!

We have put a sprinkler in the chicken run that is rotating back and forth in the tree in the run and cooling things off a good bit. I don't care if the water bill is high, I've got a lot of time and effort put into my chickens, and I'm not going to let them suffer in this heat.

I did put an air conditioner in the coop 2 years ago, but it didn't help that much, plus it got really dirty very quickly. So I took it out and put in a big fan from Tek-Supply in the coop. there are also two large windows in the coop. The coop is 12' wide by 20 ft. long. It's big because DH used recycled materials, tin and roof trusses from an old cotton gin on our property. He made the coop/chicken house to fit the trusses.

We are all suffering because of this heat. It really scares me about my chickens because I've read they die at 108.

DonnaBelle

I also do all of those things you listed, but it is just unbearable so I thought since we had an old one we would put that AC up. My question is I am wondering if it is TOO cold inside now and thats why they arent going in to take advantage of the coolness? Or if they are just scared of the noise?

If its 114 outside, what is the coolest it should be inside? I have heard a 20 degree spread but I am not sure. I have heard to many stories of people losing hens on the nest from the coop being so hot. Here is a couple pics of my setup.

What is the concenus on what the inside temp should be on this 6x4 coop.....

82702_coop_2.jpg

82702_ac_unit.jpg

I am so sorry that all of you are going through this incredible heat!
sad.png
It sounds like you are doing everything you can to help your birds so let's hope it ends soon. dbounds10, I believe that your chickens are afraid of the noise. I have a fan (wall mounted & industrial) that I run in the coop when it gets hot and none of my chickens will go in there when it is on.
hu.gif
I don't believe the coop could be too cold at your temps, but I don't know what else to tell you to try. Hang in there!

Just checked a few minutes ago and they were all in there getting a snack but came back out after about 5-10 minutes. I am just glad they finally went in! I do run a fan outside the window at night, they are used to that and roost right in front of it. I will not run the AC at night cause it is in the window like 3 inches from the roost, I dont think they would like that and would get to cold I think. I just got them all back on the roost and dont want them sleeping the in the floor again.

sounds like it's just something new to them, I'd be willing to bet once they figure out how much cooler it is in there they'll flock in (pun intended) As far as it being too cold........I don't think that will be a problem......only if it gets below freezing
wink.png

I just checked my thermometer outside and it is reading 126... It doesn't go above that so it could be even hotter. It's sitting in the direct sun. I checked my run and in the shade it is 104(that's with the misters going) and in the coop with the water cooler running it's about 102. I took the water hose and sprayed the chickens and ducks down that were outside. I put ice water in the coop for the birds that are hanging out in there. Some of my chickens look like they are walking in a daze. My son's friend lost his young dog...he was in shade with plenty of water and food. I've seen more snakes, bugs, frogs, deer and critters in my yard than I have in the 29 years we have lived here. I am trying to keep my grass alive so I guess they are coming up to the cooler ground. Some food for thought....when it's this hot ...if you don't keep the ground watered around your foundation, the foundation can crack and do all sorts of horrible things to your house...for what that's worth. Please lord send us rain and cooler days. (I'm in Central Texas Lord) And, dear Lord, don't forget my friends here on BYC.

Thanks for including us in your prayer, I will also pray...Dear Lord please send some rain and releif from this heat here in Texas and across the country. Lord also give our birds and other animals the strength to make it through this summer.

hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom