11th Annual Easter Hatch a Long 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Day 12 duck eggs. Swishing around in there like crazy!

While reading up on hatching duck eggs I keep coming across a rather ominous bit of advice NOT to candle duck eggs too much. Are duck eggs really that much more sensitive than chicken eggs in this regard? I love candling but I don't want to do them any unnecessary harm. I understand the risk of something happening any time there is handling of the eggs. I hand turn. So they're being touched already, many times, throughout the day. Is there any other reason not to candle?

View attachment 2066079

I've read that about all eggs but I've never had an issue. Just make sure to wash your hands before handling and I think you should be just fine. I haven't hatched ducks but I've hatched goslings which are very similar.

Looks like a Meyer hatchery order. I hatched mixed bunch like this about a month ago. So much fun
20200206_113502 (2).jpg

I've read that about all eggs but I've never had an issue. Just make sure to wash your hands before handling and I think you should be just fine. I haven't hatched ducks but I've hatched goslings which are very similar.
Yeah, they're so different from chickens. I started chilling and misting a few days ago. Everyone in my family has come to me with a panicked expression saying "The eggs are out!!!" In hindsight I should have told them what was happening before to plopped them on the counter. Would have reduced household panic significantly.

I'm not very good about remembering to wash my hands before turning the eggs. I just figure there is no way my hands are dirtier than a chicken coop or duck run. You'd hope anyways... although I did read this earlier today.

Screenshot_20200328-123231.png

These eggs aren’t part of the HAL, but they’re in the same incubator as my duck eggs, so that kind of counts, right?

One of my Sebastopol goslings on day 7... I’m BEYOND excited for these little ones 🥰
FCE03A6A-E2E7-4946-838C-886540F826FB.jpeg

Bonus pictures of the parents, when they were still looking lovely last October...
Anastasia on the left, Kenny & Dolly on the right.
0528D352-142F-4DB2-B6A7-E698B413AE28.jpeg 55C1F54A-7486-4DD6-97B1-35C26D3A4F31.jpeg

Well this isn't good. Candled. 2!.. That's all I'm seeing. The eggs I got were a mess. Quite a few broken..and the yolk was over a lot of the others. Blood rings and all tonight. Bummer. Glad I set more! Won't count for the hatch along, but hopefully they will do better!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom