11th Annual Easter Hatch a Long 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I have one little viable egg now. Whoo Whoo! I need to let the person know, that I got the eggs from. I did send photos of the mess that arrived. She just said she doesn't know how they are handled during shipping. I suggested a larger box! I wasn't being mean and honery..those eggs were cramped into a pretty small box. The second I saw them it at the post office..I thought, oh no. Sure enough. 😞.

Today is my day 11. I forgot to mention that all my eggs were fertile 😊 so now to see how many make it. I’m shooting for 100% heehee

Quick side question: to get help in sexing my chicks on here (making my own thread under the right forum) will 5 weeks be enough or is an older age recommended (obviously the older the better)? Some are definite obvious roosters, but I just wanna double check on females for tracking/data purposes.

Today is my day 11. I forgot to mention that all my eggs were fertile 😊 so now to see how many make it. I’m shooting for 100% heehee

Quick side question: to get help in sexing my chicks on here (making my own thread under the right forum) will 5 weeks be enough or is an older age recommended (obviously the older the better)? Some are definite obvious roosters, but I just wanna double check on females for tracking/data purposes.
Same here! Turning on day 13, all 12 are fertile and alive. I wasn't expecting 12 ducklings, but I'm not complaining.

Last year, I set 16 chicken eggs and 15 hatched. I'm on a pretty good streak!

Day 7 for my first hatch group. Candled my Copper Marans (5 viable and the rest I couldn't quite tell so leaving them in until day 10 or 14) and Bielefelders (5 viable, 1 blood ring-removed, and the rest I couldn't quite tell so leaving them in until day 10 or 14). I also re-candled the Appenzellar eggs. The 6 that were viable at day 4 have all grown. The other 7 that were questionable (with the detached air sacks and the cracked egg)....out of the 6 that had detached air cells - 5 were clear and 1 had a blood ring....and the cracked one.....it it viable! I am wondering if it will present wrong as the veining is centered under the air cell and growing down toward the tip - can't really see the chick as it is right under the air cell. I also set the Silkie eggs today. One of those had a dark spot in it when I did the preliminary candle before putting it in the incubator. Not sure what to think of it (no veining). I will candle the Sapphire Gem eggs on Saturday.
Detached air cell hatching is dicey! You need to watch for where the chick pips. Hopefully it will make the air cell and be ok

Post on the breed\gender forum with a picture of the head that show the comb and wattles for most breeds.

5 to 6 weeks is good but you can post earlier if you see differences already

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom