11th Annual Easter Hatch a Long 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
They do look like they’ve been through a dryer! Someone must have washed them at home when the label said dry clean only.

I don’t think I’ve ever come across anyone who’s had them, especially with naturally occurring Silkie genes. They’re adorable! Keeping my fingers crossed for you :fl

Thanks! My local friend and @pipdzipdnreadytogo are actually the only two people I know with the Bantam Silkied Cochins but I know there are more hiding out there somewhere! lol

Is it too late for me to join? I didn’t even realize this was a thing but I just happen to have set my maran eggs on March 21st at 11:00 am! Here is a pic of them before incubating and the one that has pipped as of today.

Attachments

• 20D71E44-BD74-48AB-8A65-6EBF711ECE82.jpeg
    20D71E44-BD74-48AB-8A65-6EBF711ECE82.jpeg
    683.1 KB · Views: 4
  • B55D506E-4A71-43FB-92FC-E2BFA2C91A47.jpeg
    B55D506E-4A71-43FB-92FC-E2BFA2C91A47.jpeg
    331.7 KB · Views: 4
Is it too late for me to join? I didn’t even realize this was a thing but I just happen to have set my maran eggs on March 21st at 11:00 am! Here is a pick of them before incubating and the one that has pipped as of today.

These are bantams??? What kind of bantams? Marans???

EDIT: Nevermind I see you edited the post. Those are nice dark shells!

Thanks! My local friend and @pipdzipdnreadytogo are actually the only two people I know with the Bantam Silkied Cochins but I know there are more hiding out there somewhere! lol

For a long time, after all the searching I'd done, I thought I was the only one with them! Very grateful to have found more of them! :D

Speaking of, I'm super jealous of your blue baby!! I was looking at my light colored baby yesterday and come to find out, she's not blue as I had thought when she hatched--she's recessive white! Surprise! :eek: (I'm also fairly sure she's a he, but we're just going to choose to ignore that until it's no longer possible to. :gig ) Anyway, it's kind of a bummer because I love blues, while pure white is probably my least favorite color on chickens, but I'm kind of intrigued by how it could look on a silkied Cochin. :) Also it gives me an excuse to try again with hatching them. :D

peek a boo.jpg

For a long time, after all the searching I'd done, I thought I was the only one with them! Very grateful to have found more of them! :D

Speaking of, I'm super jealous of your blue baby!! I was looking at my light colored baby yesterday and come to find out, she's not blue as I had thought when she hatched--she's recessive white! Surprise! :eek: (I'm also fairly sure she's a he, but we're just going to choose to ignore that until it's no longer possible to. :gig ) Anyway, it's kind of a bummer because I love blues, while pure white is probably my least favorite color on chickens, but I'm kind of intrigued by how it could look on a silkied Cochin. :) Also it gives me an excuse to try again with hatching them. :D

View attachment 2083307

That’s the hard part about keeping uncommon breeds or colours; on one hand you’re one of the few who has them so you have bragging rights and they’re worth more, but on the other hand it’s incredibly hard and expensive to bring in new lines. It definitely has to be a breed you enjoy working with.

I’m struggling with that with my BP Brahma right now. Everyone who has them here has most of their stock from the same breeder, and because importing isn’t an option I’m thinking I may need to get a Dark rooster to refresh the bloodline. Even though it will set me back on colour, it may help with lacing, type, and fertility.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom