11th Annual Easter Hatch a Long 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you can still join. I mean, you are "hatching along" no matter what, but joining [send a message to @casportpony with details..] let's your hatch "count" in some contests.
The "How many eggs set for EHAL?" contest is closed and done, yours probably cant count there.
The "How many will hatch" might still be open for guesses, and maybe yours could count in that one.. or maybe not, since most entries are based on the number set from the first contest.
"Farthest shipped eggs" is a contest for hatchers (not guessers), if your eggs were shipped far, you could be eligible to win that one.

[This brings up a question... in the guessing contests, does one need to be running a hatch to be eligible to enter a guess? ]

Other contests are available too - I entered the "Hatching chick photo" contest with a photo of a chick that hatched last Saturday (she was set too early to be part of the EHAL counts.. her mom is a Mille Fleur D'uccles, and dad is a Blue Ameraucana, so she'll probably be a little blue bantam Easter Egger.)

[This suggests another contest for next year's EHAL... "How Many Easter Eggers Will Set/Hatch?" (counting all layers of blue, green, and olive eggs...)]
View attachment 2084540
Anyone is welcome to Join!

The egg set contest is over and only those eggs go into the hatched contest.

Be sure to enter the other contests!

I know the answer but I need reassurance. This chick is playing major soccer. All my eggs were nearly in a circle and he has destroyed my circle and they’re all over the place. Some of the pip holes are toward the bottom now due to rolling them. Will they be okay? I have zero plans to remove the chick til it’s fluffy and until all external pips have zipped out which may be a while.
The chick is helping!

Chick helping hatch FARMER CONNIE BYC.gif

I was never able to see any air cells. I tried multiple times with 3 different candlers 😥 I incubated then in the upright position to try and help heal the air cells, only laying them on their side for lockdown and monitored for weight loss...which the funny thing is...the only egg that has pipped was my darkest egg that had the least amount of weight loss. She had only lost 8% of her beginning weight by day 18.
They are super dark eggs though...if anyone can recommend a flashlight or candler for this dark of eggs I’d appreciate it!
It is hard to see into dark egg. The brinsea high intensity candler works well for dark eggs

I know the answer but I need reassurance. This chick is playing major soccer. All my eggs were nearly in a circle and he has destroyed my circle and they’re all over the place. Some of the pip holes are toward the bottom now due to rolling them. Will they be okay? I have zero plans to remove the chick til it’s fluffy and until all external pips have zipped out which may be a while.

My lonely only so far chick is doing the same, pushing at and pecking other eggs. She's a feisty one and she's not happy to have no friends. When a person or even a cat goes to the incubator to look in she (or he I guess) runs over to be near them and pecks at the plastic dome. The only other egg showing progress pipped around 4 hours after this only baby. It has now pipped a second hole?? Or did the lonely chick do it? I so need that second chick to hurry up and hatch! Baby is all fluffed up now and ready to plat but has no chick friend. The second egg has been pipped at least 24 hours now. The second pip happened in the last 2 hours. Going to look up what the two pips might mean, it doesn't look like it's zipping.

My lonely only so far chick is doing the same, pushing at and pecking other eggs. She's a feisty one and she's not happy to have no friends. When a person or even a cat goes to the incubator to look in she (or he I guess) runs over to be near them and pecks at the plastic dome. The only other egg showing progress pipped around 4 hours after this only baby. It has now pipped a second hole?? Or did the lonely chick do it? I so need that second chick to hurry up and hatch! Baby is all fluffed up now and ready to plat but has no chick friend. The second egg has been pipped at least 24 hours now. The second pip happened in the last 2 hours. Going to look up what the two pips might mean, it doesn't look like it's zipping.
The second pip is likely the beginning of zipping

Once it's dry you can take him out quickly, if you want to. He may cry no matter where he is though, until he has a friend. He won't interfere with your hatch.
I have read a couple but I’ll keep reading..I need to kill time that’s for sure lol. She’s chirping along so I’m just letting her do her thing for now. I’m more worried that none of the other 5 have pipped...Since I know my temps have been accurate and constant...just seems a little late.
If you candle them, you may see internal pips. Listen, also. Picking them up often elicits cheeps which you may hear by placing the egg against your ear. If you think it necessary, you may make a pinhole into the air sac to make sure they have air.

I was never able to see any air cells. I tried multiple times with 3 different candlers 😥 I incubated then in the upright position to try and help heal the air cells, only laying them on their side for lockdown and monitored for weight loss...which the funny thing is...the only egg that has pipped was my darkest egg that had the least amount of weight loss. She had only lost 8% of her beginning weight by day 18.
They are super dark eggs though...if anyone can recommend a flashlight or candler for this dark of eggs I’d appreciate it!
I (personally) would put them back in their egg carton, if you incubated thay way. I do all mine horizontal all the way through, but I read the other day you shouldn't change the orientation when you lock down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom