11th Annual Easter Hatch a Long 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Meet Nevaeh and Anastasia... They aren't meat ducks I decided 😁 BOTH are confirmed female by vent sexing. I'll say it's 90% chance they're female. Only 2 ducklings hatched, but our ducks are new to laying this spring so next hatch will be better. I got 5 chicks as well.

IMG_20200412_125138~2.jpg

IMG_20200412_125203~2.jpg

Alright, finishing up with my hatches. I helped one baby a little as I noticed they'd been stuck for more than a full day, they came out healthy and strong. I was too late to help another one. I threw out two eggs which when candled/tested turned out they had passed. I have one egg left in the incubator which I'm not too hopeful for, but it's still got time if it wants to pip and join the world. As for the rest of the babies, they've been made comfortable in the brooder.
It sounds like you did alright! It can be quite stressful though but the chicks in the incubator make it worth the work and lost fingernails....

Candling is not a requirement. With the super dark eggs, it's hard for an experienced person to see in, no matter when you start doing it. Once they're about to hatch, you usually can't see much of anything in any of them unless it's right by the air cell. Hope you have a great hatch and a very large coop ready! :lau
I have a big brooder ready and my coop expansion on the go!

My eggs hatched yesterday morning, 3 out of the 6 were successful! One of the three came from Cuckoo Maran hen who recently was killed by a predator so I am so happy this little one hatched! These chicks came from my egg laying flock!
View attachment 2086206
Very Sweet!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom