11th Annual Easter Hatch a Long 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you use to take those pictures. What settings.. my best camera is on my phone. How can I get good pictures

I use a small high lumen flashlight and a Nikon camera. I really feel the flashlight is what makes the biggest difference with candling images. I did a side by side test of a few small sized high lumen flashlights, 1200-1300 lumen shown below. All 3 were satisfactory but in person the WUBEN and Sofirn work the best. Sofirn is easier to hold and doesn't get as hot but the WUBEN is a little brighter. I use both.

I turn the flash off on my camera and manually focus the camera if it won't auto focus in the pitch black and when you can't see as much in the image as I can see in person I put it through a black and white filter to really make the veining pops which you can see in the last image.

High Lumen Flashlight Comparison (1).jpg
High Lumen Flashlight Comparison (2).jpg

3-25-20 Day 5 Silkied Bantam Cochin.jpg

I use a small high lumen flashlight and a Nikon camera. I really feel the flashlight is what makes the biggest difference with candling images. I did a side by side test of a few small sized high lumen flashlights, 1200-1300 lumen shown below. All 3 were satisfactory but in person the WUBEN and Sofirn work the best. Sofirn is easier to hold and doesn't get as hot but the WUBEN is a little brighter. I use both.

I turn the flash off on my camera and manually focus the camera if it won't auto focus in the pitch black and when you can't see as much in the image as I can see in person I put it through a black and white filter to really make the veining pops which you can see in the last image.

View attachment 2063441View attachment 2063442

View attachment 2063447
I have an actual canding light..

I have an actual canding light..

Some of the candlers are pretty bright, depends on which one. You can check it to see if it shows the lumens anywhere on it or on the original website where you bought it. Just make sure the room is completely dark when you take the picture. Most cameras will capture any light available and you want that to just be the glowing egg. I usually wait until nighttime to candle because it's easier but if I'm feeling impatient I'll go into the closet. Lol

Montana has been having a mild winter, too! The coldest we got was -27, and that was clear back in early November. It was the first of only two bouts of negative temps this winter. And next to no snow, either. That's what's called Grasshopper Weather -- you may remember what happens if you've ever read Laura Ingalls Wilder.

Mild winters give ME the heebie jeebies, lol.

Day 14 candling done on my silkied Cochin eggs. Of the 6 that were developing last time, one has quit. :( But the rest are going strong! ❤

I checked in on my EHAL eggs, too, while I was at it, and it's looking pretty bleak. I can't see into the EE eggs very well (grateful for the flashlight model mentions above--I'll be looking into getting one of those!), but out of the rest of them, I'm only seeing development in one. :th Guess it's too early for hatching from my flock!

Day 14 candling done on my silkied Cochin eggs. Of the 6 that were developing last time, one has quit. :( But the rest are going strong! ❤

I checked in on my EHAL eggs, too, while I was at it, and it's looking pretty bleak. I can't see into the EE eggs very well (grateful for the flashlight model mentions above--I'll be looking into getting one of those!), but out of the rest of them, I'm only seeing development in one. :th Guess it's too early for hatching from my flock!
That is good for shipped eggs!

Nice! A bedroom but not the one expected LOL!

Montana has been having a mild winter, too! The coldest we got was -27, and that was clear back in early November. It was the first of only two bouts of negative temps this winter. And next to no snow, either. That's what's called Grasshopper Weather -- you may remember what happens if you've ever read Laura Ingalls Wilder.

Mild winters give ME the heebie jeebies, lol.
On the plus side, our chickens will LOVE all those hoppers! 🦋

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom