11th Annual Easter Hatch a Long 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like I'm coming up on ten years here on BYC. Sure has been a fun experience. I've learned oodles! Seems like just the other day. Have met some great folks in here!
1d4c21e6_smilies-3434.png

I just made it to my 9th year badge. It seems like I joined yesterday LOL

So I decided to candle the eggs I’ve storing that haven’t been incubated at all. When candling there I just saw straight through them, can’t see the outline of the yolk.

When I candled my 80 hours incubated eggs, I saw the yolks in them (no veins though). Maybe the fact that I seen those yolks is actually promising?

Or have you guys found that the yolk becomes more visible as they’re incubated anyways regardless of if they are fertilised or not?
the eggs do change over time. Often the color on the outside changes.

The yolk inside the egg might change color too but it might be the shell letting in more light.

Fertility indications come from the ovum dividing and that won't happen in storage...unless the house is 99 degrees F!

I found cracks in one of my duck eggs a couple days ago. Don't have super glue (which is mildly toxic but the same chemicals are used in liquid bandaid), don't have nail polish, didn't trust wax in a warm incubator so I painted them with some white fluid acrylic. White (in art or craft acrylic) generally is non-toxic and all paints are basically glue, so... Hopefully it works. I might also have tried Elmers white glue, but the paint dries a little faster.
That should work!

the eggs do change over time. Often the color on the outside changes.

The yolk inside the egg might change color too but it might be the shell letting in more light.

Fertility indications come from the ovum dividing and that won't happen in storage...unless the house is 99 degrees F!

Don’t worry I know my stored eggs won’t be developing, it’s far too cold here for that to happen 😂

I was just comparing my incubated ones to my stored non incubated ones.

In the incubated ones I can see the yolk in them but in the non incubated ones I can’t.

The shells on mine are very light/pale anyways but if they aren’t fertile then most likely it’s just that the heat has effected the yolk and made them more visible.

knowing my luck it will be just that 😂

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom