11th Annual Easter Hatch a Long 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
These are not my EHAL eggs, obviously, but my silkied Cochin eggs hatched over the past couple days! 5 out of 15! Not too bad for dinged up shipped eggs, I think! :) Sadly, one of them is very weak and I'm not sure she will pull through, but I'm happy for four healthy babies. ❤

Red band 2.jpg
Green band 1.jpg
Blue booty.jpg
Purple band 1.jpg
group 2.jpg
huddle.jpg

Sorry for the picture overload. :oops: They're just so irresistible! 😍
Great pictures! You should enter those in the POW thread!
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/picture-of-the-week-pow-information-submissions.1345170/
And if you have any without watermarks, enter them in the cutest baby fowl contest!
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...st-baby-fowl-win-a-brinsea-incubator.1351241/

What you gonna do with all those hatched puppies:wee:love

We will be keeping 1, the owner of the father is keeping one and his parents are also taking one. One of the guys that helps us with cattle is taking one. And we will find homes for the other 5. Red Heelers seem to be hard to find and we won't be charging much for the puppies (just enough to cover vet appointments, shots, and food), so I don't think it will be too hard to find them homes. Until then, we will be giving them lots of love and attention!

I don't understand this hatch at all. The egg that just pipped this morning is zipping. The first egg to pip, about 52 hours ago hasn't zipped. Although he's been peeping ever time I talk to him. So I thought I would peel him a little bit. Yikes blood! :he
They hatch like that sometimes~

EEEKKKKK, Today is day 14 for my eggies, and 8 were infertile, 2 were quitters. sooooooo most are doing great, (which I figured they would but I always worry) HMMMMMM, they may say don't count your chickens before they hatch, but what will I do with all of them.. hehehe We plan on selling or giving them away, Keeping a few but cant keep them all not enough room.

What are you all going to do with yours chicks? What are the plans for them keeping selling?

We will be keeping a few pullets (and maybe a roo) from each breed that we are hatching and then selling the rest...Where we will have to let some of them grow out before finding out if they are pullets or cockerels, we will probably end up keeping most of the cockerels too. But that won't be too bad. I just got done fixing up the "old yard" to be a meat rooster pen. (We lived in my husband's families 1910 farmhouse until 2009 and then built a house a little ways up the hill - old house is vacant as it is deteriorating and it has a decent sized chain link fenced in yard)

We will be keeping 1, the owner of the father is keeping one and his parents are also taking one. One of the guys that helps us with cattle is taking one. And we will find homes for the other 5. Red Heelers seem to be hard to find and we won't be charging much for the puppies (just enough to cover vet appointments, shots, and food), so I don't think it will be too hard to find them homes. Until then, we will be giving them lots of love and attention!

Gee may want one but the drive would be a killer

That's so neat. Mine is red heeler mix from the shelter. She is very protective of all the animals. Some folks are going to get great dogs at a bargin. I too wish you were closer.

My hen still wants to be broody and the weather is looking nicer.
I have her separated with the eggs she's been sitting on today now, the eggs aren't the cleanest as it's been rainy lately though.
So I have three options;
A- let her keep sitting on these and let her try to hatch them
B- collect a new batch of eggs and trade them out
C- wait until my chicks are hatched and swap them out so I will have less to keep in a brooder and she gets to raise some babies

EEEKKKKK, Today is day 14 for my eggies, and 8 were infertile, 2 were quitters. sooooooo most are doing great, (which I figured they would but I always worry) HMMMMMM, they may say don't count your chickens before they hatch, but what will I do with all of them.. hehehe We plan on selling or giving them away, Keeping a few but cant keep them all not enough room.

What are you all going to do with yours chicks? What are the plans for them keeping selling?

I had initially decided to hatch some because I had offered 4 chicks to my husband's aunt but with this quarantine being extended I doubt she’d risk coming to pick them up. I was going to give them to her for free but if I have to feed them for a while I will either keep this batch and offer her a future batch or charge her for the feed.

As far as the others, I was going to place them on the freezer if they were male and possibly keep a small handful if any turn out to be females. I’m hatching 15 eggs. Which tomorrow is weigh in day!!

A few will be kept to add or replace some in my current flock. All the cockerels will sadly have to go, and I think I'll raise them and sell most of them when they get to be a bit older. Mostly, we're going to play it by ear how many we'll keep or sell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom