11th Annual Easter Hatch a Long 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am about out of Blue egg layers. Going to cross my old crème legbars to the only Easter egger roo. Between the neighbor dogs and the fox they pretty much killed every thing off. Been watching for some wheaten amerucanas or eggs for them. But so far no luck.. Don't want to hatch to many.
It is kinda funny my neighbor hear I started the bator up He wants me to hatch him some eggs. Spring has sprung. Everyone has got the bug... At least if I hatch his chicks they will leave the next day. LOL
It is a good way to take your mine off the virus....

Day 7 of incubation. I just candled them and 8 were infertile and two I didnt know for sure so they are still in the incubator and am going to candle them again in 2 days or so. Supper excited I thought there were going to be way more infertile ones. :ya:celebrateBut we will see how many more I'll have to throw out. Don't know what I'm going to do with them all if they all hatch.
I hear there's a lot of demand for chicks lately... don't know if that's localized or even if it's the case here. We've been staying home and live way out of town.

I think all 15 eggs are dead. I don’t know how or why but my temperature skyrocketed to 108 to 111. I know the chances are 0 to none, but I will wait and check daily for smell, these are olive eggs so I can’t candle them. Is there another way to check?

I’m really hoping both my built in thermometer and digital thermometer are wrong, but they were pretty accurate on my last batch. I’m glad this isn’t my first hatch, this would have been devastating.

I think all 15 eggs are dead. I don’t know how or why but my temperature skyrocketed to 108 to 111. I know the chances are 0 to none, but I will wait and check daily for smell, these are olive eggs so I can’t candle them. Is there another way to check?

I’m really hoping both my built in thermometer and digital thermometer are wrong, but they were pretty accurate on my last batch. I’m glad this isn’t my first hatch, this would have been devastating.
so sorry!

I’m using a still air incubator and I had the temp set at 100.1 degrees and I cover the windows with cloth napkins. It didn’t give me problems last hatch, but I guess last night it got extra chilly so maybe the heater kept going off?? But I don’t know how if the heat was trapped in there 😤 oh well..

I’m using a still air incubator and I had the temp set at 100.1 degrees and I cover the windows with cloth napkins. It didn’t give me problems last hatch, but I guess last night it got extra chilly so maybe the heater kept going off?? But I don’t know how if the heat was trapped in there 😤 oh well..

It's so upsetting when this happens! You never know, maybe if it only spiked for a moment or your secondary thermometer went bad? I keep multiple thermometer/hygrometers in my incubators because I've had them go bad multiple times. Fingers crossed!!! :fl

so sorry!

Thanks. Worst part is the thermometer was all the way in the corner farthest from the heater and on the floor not on top of eggs, so for all I know it was way hotter closest to the heater and at the eggs’ level.

Well I’ve learned some stuff from this hatch so it wasn’t a waste. I am curious if by some chance one of them is still alive. I weighed the eggs and 2 are right where they need to be in weight loss, 6 are not within the bracket, but close to it. But 7 are either too high or too low in the weight loss. The average weight loss for all 15 is just .2% from the weight loss bracket at 14 days.

It's so upsetting when this happens! You never know, maybe if it only spiked for a moment or your secondary thermometer went bad? I keep multiple thermometer/hygrometers in my incubators because I've had this happen multiple times. Fingers crossed!!! :fl

The built in one said 107 when my digital said 108 but the digital shows a max temperature of 111 but then again that could have been when I used it outside weeks ago and it was near some metal on a hot day since I didn’t reset it. I do have one you gotta manually read, but I didn’t think to check it 🤦‍♀️

True, lets hope it was only high for a little bit.

Mine has a high temp alarm that I can hear from the bedroom. I incubate in my laundry room. Come hatch time I have to get up every two hours and check. Yes I am one of those. My new ducklings are in my kitchen right now because it's cold outside. But it's something entertaining for the quarantine. Do you have more eggs you can set?

Yes, these were collected from my flock so not much was lost since I get so many eggs I giveaway. I’ll start collecting olive eggs again sometime next week to have another 15 to set after the time is up for these.

I think the next batch I’ll put in the laundry room. I don’t think mine gets too cold since it’s tiny. I have mine in the living room now which is a lot of open space. Thanks for the idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom