11th Annual Easter Hatch a Long 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Once it's dry you can take him out quickly, if you want to. He may cry no matter where he is though, until he has a friend. He won't interfere with your hatch.

If you candle them, you may see internal pips. Listen, also. Picking them up often elicits cheeps which you may hear by placing the egg against your ear. If you think it necessary, you may make a pinhole into the air sac to make sure they have air.

But an emergency pinhole isn’t going to help if they haven’t internally piped yet though, correct?

I (personally) would put them back in their egg carton, if you incubated thay way. I do all mine horizontal all the way through, but I read the other day you shouldn't change the orientation when you lock down.
I have them in my bathroom. I just turned on the shower. The humidity got to 76% and the temp 80’s... theoretically that should be good to open up the incubator and place them back upright?

439270A2-FB48-400A-8659-9F34C0D26000.jpeg

My first time hatching has been a success! I suspect I had a bit of beginner’s luck. I had 8 eggs shipped to me and 7 of them hatched. Even one with a saddle air cell. Two of the chicks pipped in the wrong end of the egg and both hatched without a problem. I had 13 eggs in the incubator at lockdown and 12 have hatched. The last one is still in the incubator but I’m not very hopeful about it. But I am very happy with the 12 healthy babies that hatched!

But an emergency pinhole isn’t going to help if they haven’t internally piped yet though, correct?
Right. They have to have internally pipped. If you hear them peeping they have most likely done that. The experts can sometimes determine the location of the beak of a malpositioned chick and open the shell in that spot, but I've never tried doing that. Also, there ought to be a lot of air in the air sac and there usually is. You only need (maybe) a pinhole if they've been internally pipped for, like, 24 hours-ish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom