11th Annual Easter Hatch a Long 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
The last two ducklings just hatched! That means all 7 eggs hatched successfully on day 27 within a 15 hour hatch window. I couldn't ask for better results for our first time incubating duck eggs.

View attachment 2087221
View attachment 2087224
1d4c21e6_smilies-3434.png
duckling picture.gif

Our two chicks are doing wonderfully. I now wonder about this egg, no pip, no tapping or chirping, day 23. Both of the others hatched on Day 21, one closer to the end of day 20 and the other about 15 hours later. Do you think it has any chance? I've read and re-read the assist article. I feel confident to try that if needed. I'm just not sure what I'm seeing here in the candling pictures. It doesn't appear to me that there is drawdown on the air cell.

View attachment 2087437
View attachment 2087438
View attachment 2087439
It is time to open up the egg and check. Open from the air cell and be very careful. Very rarely you will find one alive and internally pipped. I had one make it and it did not hatch because it did not have an egg tooth!

So sorry I didn’t see this quote until now
I put splints and a rubber band with tape rapped around the center of it to make little loops and I put that on the chick.
after a couple hours I took the splints off and she was doing WAY better 😊
I kept the rubberband loop thing on her legs for the night and I woke up to her walking the right way and standing the right way just wobbly. I’m going to keep it on for today and check on her.
she is able to move around the brooder easily to get to cooler places if needed.
She is doing great and I’m super glad this worked
Thank you everyone and all your babies are sooooooo cute :jumpy:jumpy:jumpy:love:love
Perfect!

It is amazing how fast a splint will work when used right away.

So my Easter hatch was a grand total of 45 eggs set and 30 chicks hatched! Two hatch dates so close together made it feel like the longest hatch EVER! I think I'm done for the year...at least until after the virus passes...well and after I hatch the Peafowl eggs that my friend traded me for some chicks. :D lol!

Total breakdown:

4/10/20: 60% (started with 18, 8 infertile, 4 quitters, 6 live chicks)
- 12 Silkied Bantam Cochins (3 infertile, 3 quitters)
- 6 regular bantam Cochins (5 infertile, 1 quitter)

Ameraucanas 4/12/20: 92% (started with 27, 1 infertile, 2 quitters, 24 live chicks)

So my Easter hatch was a grand total of 45 eggs set and 30 chicks hatched! Two hatch dates so close together made it feel like the longest hatch EVER! I think I'm done for the year...at least until after the virus passes...well and after I hatch the Peafowl eggs that my friend traded me for some chicks. :D lol!

Total breakdown:

4/10/20: 60% (started with 18, 8 infertile, 4 quitters, 6 live chicks)
- 12 Silkied Bantam Cochins (3 infertile, 3 quitters)
- 6 regular bantam Cochins (5 infertile, 1 quitter)

Ameraucanas 4/12/20: 92% (started with 27, 1 infertile, 2 quitters, 24 live chicks)
:yesss:

Nice hatch! I hope the Peafowl eggs hatch well for you :fl

Congrats to all who have chicks! My condolences for any losses.

I ended up setting 21 eggs, and only two were fertile! Sadly, neither egg fully developed, but I was able to set another 40 something eggs that are supposed to hatch next week. Thankfully, all but 5 were fertile when I canceled last week.
I’m getting anxious for my bantams to hatch, keeping my fingers crossed they will grow and be developed enough in case any shows still occur this summer and fall.

wasn’t too bad...
but wasn’t the best...
19 set for the Easter hatch along. Week 1, 4 were infertile.
week 2 1 quitter
Lockdown I missed one that stopped developing a while back but it was an Easter egger egg and her shells are so think and I couldn’t see through it so I missed it
That leaves 13

12 hatched 🐣

looks like one moved into position (candled it and saw the air cell was drawn down)
No movement or peeps back to me so I think it’s dead.

1 scissor beak (I wouldn’t even call it that because you can barley notice it and that chick will be fine) and one chick with splayed legs (who is healing from it wonderfully)

thank you all for this amazing adventure and I loved how my first incubation turned out!!
I will definitely be doing more:celebrate haha!!:wee

(Should I send a conversation about how many hatched to casportpony ?)

:yesss:

Nice hatch! I hope the Peafowl eggs hatch well for you :fl

Thanks! I hope so too! These are her early season layers so I'm also checking fertility on a couple of her pens for her. I'm not expecting a great hatch but she said will replace them if they don't hatch. Which would mean that I'm again not going to be turning my incubators off...I have a hatching addiction! :lau I did manage to NOT get eggs from two other friends though! So only having 1 out of 4 incubators running is a huge improvement, right? I think! lol
hysterical.gif

wasn’t too bad...
but wasn’t the best...
19 set for the Easter hatch along. Week 1, 4 were infertile.
week 2 1 quitter
Lockdown I missed one that stopped developing a while back but it was an Easter egger egg and her shells are so think and I couldn’t see through it so I missed it
That leaves 13

12 hatched 🐣

looks like one moved into position (candled it and saw the air cell was drawn down)
No movement or peeps back to me so I think it’s dead.

1 scissor beak (I wouldn’t even call it that because you can barley notice it and that chick will be fine) and one chick with splayed legs (who is healing from it wonderfully)

thank you all for this amazing adventure and I loved how my first incubation turned out!!
I will definitely be doing more:celebrate haha!!:wee

(Should I send a conversation about how many hatched to casportpony ?)
The scissor beak often gets worse over time.

Nice hatch!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom