11th Annual Easter Hatch a Long 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Congrats to all who have chicks! My condolences for any losses.

I ended up setting 21 eggs, and only two were fertile! Sadly, neither egg fully developed, but I was able to set another 40 something eggs that are supposed to hatch next week. Thankfully, all but 5 were fertile when I canceled last week.
I’m getting anxious for my bantams to hatch, keeping my fingers crossed they will grow and be developed enough in case any shows still occur this summer and fall.

I'm sorry your Easter hatch didn't work out! Fingers crossed your next hatch makes up for it!!

Thanks! I hope so too! These are her early season layers so I'm also checking fertility on a couple of her pens for her. I'm not expecting a great hatch but she said will replace them if they don't hatch. Which would mean that I'm again not going to be turning my incubators off...I have a hatching addiction! :lau I did manage to NOT get eggs from two other friends though! So only having 1 out of 4 incubators running is a huge improvement, right? I think! lol View attachment 2087984
One incubator can still hatch out a lot of chicks!

It is better than running 4 though

wasn’t too bad...
but wasn’t the best...
19 set for the Easter hatch along. Week 1, 4 were infertile.
week 2 1 quitter
Lockdown I missed one that stopped developing a while back but it was an Easter egger egg and her shells are so think and I couldn’t see through it so I missed it
That leaves 13

12 hatched 🐣

looks like one moved into position (candled it and saw the air cell was drawn down)
No movement or peeps back to me so I think it’s dead.

1 scissor beak (I wouldn’t even call it that because you can barley notice it and that chick will be fine) and one chick with splayed legs (who is healing from it wonderfully)

thank you all for this amazing adventure and I loved how my first incubation turned out!!
I will definitely be doing more:celebrate haha!!:wee

(Should I send a conversation about how many hatched to casportpony ?)

Great! I hope to see you in another hatch-a-long! ;)

I don't know if I was supposed to but I did send her a message. lol

One incubator can still hatch out a lot of chicks!

It is better than running 4 though
I have all 3 of my incubators running. I have my two Franken-bators which are the cheapo yellow topped incubators that I gutted and put IncukitMinis in them (my rebuild article is in my description). They are effectively 55 egg incubators because the turner motor blocks one of spots in the turner. I'm using one as a starter incubator and one as a lock down incubator. The one I'm using for lock down is having issues with the turner working. If I want to use it to start eggs, I think I need to pull it apart and solder the wires connections together rather than just twisting and taping. My third incubator is a Brinsea Ovation 28 EX (which means it has a turner and humidity pump). I'm still kicking myself that I didn't spend the extra $100 and get the 56 egg version. I love it. It is my easiest incubator to manage. I would use it for a hatcher, but it is my most reliable incubator (which works best for starting eggs) and it is a royal PAIN to get clean after hatching.

My low hatch rate for the EHAL has to do with the fact that I had one cock with too many hens and the other cock has old injuries. Since I moved my one cock to a pen with just 4 girls (plus or minus 1-2 EEs that fence hop). My fertility for the eggs I set last week was 14/15 eggs. I did lose 2 of the 14 as early quitters, I think a power outage did them in. My injured cock's fertility has gone up as well 8/13, but it's still lower than I would like.

I have all 3 of my incubators running. I have my two Franken-bators which are the cheapo yellow topped incubators that I gutted and put IncukitMinis in them (my rebuild article is in my description). They are effectively 55 egg incubators because the turner motor blocks one of spots in the turner. I'm using one as a starter incubator and one as a lock down incubator. The one I'm using for lock down is having issues with the turner working. If I want to use it to start eggs, I think I need to pull it apart and solder the wires connections together rather than just twisting and taping. My third incubator is a Brinsea Ovation 28 EX (which means it has a turner and humidity pump). I'm still kicking myself that I didn't spend the extra $100 and get the 56 egg version. I love it. It is my easiest incubator to manage. I would use it for a hatcher, but it is my most reliable incubator (which works best for starting eggs) and it is a royal PAIN to get clean after hatching.

My low hatch rate for the EHAL has to do with the fact that I had one cock with too many hens and the other cock has old injuries. Since I moved my one cock to a pen with just 4 girls (plus or minus 1-2 EEs that fence hop). My fertility for the eggs I set last week was 14/15 eggs. I did lose 2 of the 14 as early quitters, I think a power outage did them in. My injured cock's fertility has gone up as well 8/13, but it's still lower than I would like.
Hopefully fertility will go up with the better spring weather!

They aren’t the best quality, but I finally got a chance to snap a few pics of the first two chicks!!

Number 3 and 4 have started to zip. I hope I can get some better pictures with 4 fuzzy chicks :love
1D4CA562-153E-4035-BE19-5939BD5ECF2C.jpeg

C73E6C29-3B89-4BA8-8324-03BE421B59F9.jpeg

18816C43-526E-4CE6-8EEA-097702980805.jpeg

Congrats to everyone that has successfully hatched, this is my first time participating in a hatch-a-long and it’s has been amazing so far :hugs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom