11th Annual Easter Hatch a Long 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
had 35 chicks running around the brooder when I left for work this morning! the one that piped the wrong end looked like it had piped through the yolk???? huhhh
still had 6 eggs in the incubator I expect to candle and pull the last few quitters tonight, just in time to refill the brinsea ovation ex56 to the brim with turkey eggs!

Is there anything I can do to avoid it getting worse?
One of my silkies is a scissor beak, she is 1 year old and perfectly healthy.
It will grow worse as the chicken gets older, but it really depends on how severe it is right now whether it will be life-threatening or not.
Skippy (my scissor beak hen) is just fine, I have some rough stones outside for her to file down her beak on, and she does a good job of keeping it in shape. I’ve heard people will file their beaks for them if the chicken can’t do it themself.
3D049AE3-C04D-4A75-822F-D3B32A964E7C.jpeg

23FA55B6-1D2B-4CAE-AE11-7A0D4C2020BD.jpeg

Skippy’s beak was just sort of crooked and turned to the side as a chick, and it started to become ‘scissor’-looking as she got older, but she is perfectly able to eat and is a fat healthy girl. I hope this helps

I’m probably going to completely butcher this description, but I believe scissor beak is caused by the structure of the skull not being correct (due to incorrect incubation, vitamin deficiency of the parent flock, shipped eggs, frozen eggs, or random fluke) so as the skull plates grow it will continue to move and get worse until the chicken is done growing.

Nothing I have tried has ever worked to make it better, however some chickens do live quite normal lives with their deformity, with a bit of extra care on their owners part.

I’m probably going to completely butcher this description, but I believe scissor beak is caused by the structure of the skull not being correct (due to incorrect incubation, vitamin deficiency of the parent flock, shipped eggs, frozen eggs, or random fluke) so as the skull plates grow it will continue to move and get worse until the chicken is done growing.

Nothing I have tried has ever worked to make it better, however some chickens do live quite normal lives with their deformity, with a bit of extra care on their owners part.
it was probably the parent of the egg. I know exactly who it was because of the blackness overcame all the Easter egger colors that would of shown up. Her ‘mom’ is an Ayam cemani mix. When I was choosing/putting the eggs on the incubator 3 weeks ago I was trying to avoid using her egg because she isn’t a year yet so I didn’t want to incubate young chickens eggs. I guess I missed it and put it in there🤦‍♀️

One of my silkies is a scissor beak, she is 1 year old and perfectly healthy.
It will grow worse as the chicken gets older, but it really depends on how severe it is right now whether it will be life-threatening or not.
Skippy (my scissor beak hen) is just fine, I have some rough stones outside for her to file down her beak on, and she does a good job of keeping it in shape. I’ve heard people will file their beaks for them if the chicken can’t do it themself.
View attachment 2088075
View attachment 2088074
Skippy’s beak was just sort of crooked and turned to the side as a chick, and it started to become ‘scissor’-looking as she got older, but she is perfectly able to eat and is a fat healthy girl. I hope this helps
The chick’s beak is barley noticeable so hoping it won’t get too bad/very worse as the chick grows. She will hopefully be able to live a normal chicken life but have a small crooked mouth. Hoping for the best for this little one she is super adorable!
7BAE93B3-8DC0-4685-BEB6-25E21F3FE5BC.jpeg

it was probably the parent of the egg. I know exactly who it was because of the blackness overcame all the Easter egger colors that would of shown up. Her ‘mom’ is an Ayam cemani mix. When I was choosing/putting the eggs on the incubator 3 weeks ago I was trying to avoid using her egg because she isn’t a year yet so I didn’t want to incubate young chickens eggs. I guess I missed it and put it in there🤦‍♀️

The chick’s beak is barley noticeable so I’m pretty sure it won’t get too bad/very worse as the chick grows. She will hopefully be able to live a normal chicken life but have a small crooked mouth. Hoping for the best for this little one she is super adorable!View attachment 2088129
That’s a beautiful little chick! Just keep a close eye on her, as long as she is able to eat on her own she’ll be fine. :love

No, it's my understanding that it's a deformation of the skull. That's also why it gets worse as they grow. Sometimes they're mild and you don't need to do much of anything. Other times you may need to trim the beak on occasion or supply wet feed so that it's easier for the chicken to pick up. It will all depend on the severity of the cross beak.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom