12 Baby Bunnies!!!

Pics
Apr 16, 2018
Missouri
My big Flemmish Giant doe, Wendy, gave birth to thirteen bunnies last night! Unfortunately, one of them was DOA, but still... that's 12 baby bunnies!!!!
:eek::celebrate:eek::celebrate:eek::celebrate:eek:
:wee:wee

:bun:bun:bun:bun:bun:bun:bun:bun:bun:bun:bun:bun

I forgot to take my phone out with me when I did my nest box check, and I don't want to expose them to the chilly air right now, but I promise to post cute bunny pictures later!

The sire of the litter is a big broken red French Lop/New Zealand cross, so there is a whole rainbow of bunny cuteness in that nest box! Chestnut agoutis, broken agoutis, blacks, broken blacks, reds, broken reds, one that is either a broken tort or a tri color, and even a blue!!! I didn't know my doe carried non extenstion red or dilute!!! More holes in her genotype filled in! Yay!!!

But... I had bred a doe who I knew was prone to small litters two days before I bred Wendy, hoping if I needed to I could use her as a foster mom since Wendy is prone to big litters (her previous record was 10). The other doe's breeding didn't take, and she ended up having a false pregnancy (one more stunt like that and she'll get served with dumplings), so now I have a doe with eight teats and twelve kits. :idunno:he

Now I am faced with the decision to let nature take it's course and see what happens, or wait a couple of days and cull any that appear to be runts for the greater good of Wendy and the litter.:hit

So far they seem very uniform in size and energy level.

The poor little unlucky 13 seemed to be underdeveloped with malformed legs. She did not even bother to finish trying to clean it. I didn't know what else to do with the the poor little dead thing, so I tossed it to my chickens. They knew what to do and made quick gory work of it. :sick

I try to only reserve does for my herd that come from litters of 8+. I will probably reserve two or three does from this litter if everything goes well!

My big Flemmish Giant doe, Wendy, gave birth to thirteen bunnies last night! Unfortunately, one of them was DOA, but still... that's 12 baby bunnies!!!!
:eek::celebrate:eek::celebrate:eek::celebrate:eek:
:wee:wee

:bun:bun:bun:bun:bun:bun:bun:bun:bun:bun:bun:bun

I forgot to take my phone out with me when I did my nest box check, and I don't want to expose them to the chilly air right now, but I promise to post cute bunny pictures later!

The sire of the litter is a big broken red French Lop/New Zealand cross, so there is a whole rainbow of bunny cuteness in that nest box! Chestnut agoutis, broken agoutis, blacks, broken blacks, reds, broken reds, one that is either a broken tort or a tri color, and even a blue!!! I didn't know my doe carried non extenstion red or dilute!!! More holes in her genotype filled in! Yay!!!

But... I had bred a doe who I knew was prone to small litters two days before I bred Wendy, hoping if I needed to I could use her as a foster mom since Wendy is prone to big litters (her previous record was 10). The other doe's breeding didn't take, and she ended up having a false pregnancy (one more stunt like that and she'll get served with dumplings), so now I have a doe with eight teats and twelve kits. :idunno:he

Now I am faced with the decision to let nature take it's course and see what happens, or wait a couple of days and cull any that appear to be runts for the greater good of Wendy and the litter.:hit

So far they seem very uniform in size and energy level.

The poor little unlucky 13 seemed to be underdeveloped with malformed legs. She did not even bother to finish trying to clean it. I didn't know what else to do with the the poor little dead thing, so I tossed it to my chickens. They knew what to do and made quick gory work of it. :sick

I try to only reserve does for my herd that come from litters of 8+. I will probably reserve two or three does from this litter if everything goes well!
Good luck! Post some pics if you can!!

Good luck! Post some pics if you can!!
Heck with it... I just brought the nest box in the house to take pictures.

KIMG0204.jpg
KIMG0203.jpg
KIMG0202.jpg
KIMG0200.jpg

And here are mom and dad.

KIMG0164.jpg
KIMG0166.jpg

IMG_1415.JPG
IMG_1477.JPG
IMG_1609.JPG
Thanks! @Bunnylady has already been a lot of help cracking some of my rabbit color genetic puzzles!

What kind of rabbit's do you have?
Well...My Rabbit was a Boy till she had 5 Bunnies...:gig
Long story...:hmm
I gave my Bunny away to a friend and didn't like the care my Bunny was getting so after 3 days I went back and brought him home. To my utter horror my Bunny had bunnies a month later...:gigHe even called me to say my Male rabbit didn't work anyways...:lau
I got 5 Bunnies. Bunny Boy is a Lop and the Dad was a Rex.
All babies have now been placed into new homes....

Last edited:
Bunny Boy and her babies are beautiful!

I have have a herd of selectively bred meat mutts. I am breeding and selecting for traits of fast growout rate on natural fodder, larger size than average but maintaining a good meat to bone ratio, good fur quality, litter size and general hardiness.

My current breeding program is in it's infantile stages and might appear to a serious pedigree rabbit breeder to be willy-nily right now, but it's my goal to create a herd of very hardy, adaptable rabbits that is uniform in size, body type, and fur quality but comes in all colors of the rabbit rainbow spectrum... The ultimate multipurpose homesteader's rabbit.

I used to raise commercial REW New Zealands and Californians when I was a teenager for 4H and FFA, and color genics was not something I got to play with... So right now I'm having a lot of fun with all of the colors I am finding in my nest boxes and filling in the recessive blanks in my genotype puzzles!

Back
Top Bottom