12 baby chicks- 2 breeds- how do I sex them?

ChickenMama321

Hatching
May 30, 2018
Ok so long story short. I have Cream Legbars (1 rooster, 2 hens) and Black Copper Marans (1 rooster, 2 hens). They are about a year old. My Black Copper Maran went broody for the first time and it took my husband and myself about a week or so to realize what was going on (first broody hen). Anyway, we also didn't realize that she had gone broody in the hens favorite box. Anytime she got up the other hens would lay their eggs. After a week well lets say we had a large amount of eggs under her that had already started incubating. We decided we would let her hatch them out to experience the amazing way nature just works itself out. I have 2 daughters so they were amazed with the whole process. Our 12 chickens are about 3 weeks old now and I do not know which ones are pure bred and which ones are mixed breeds. I heard the mix breeds of these two would produce an Olive Egger so I'm kind of excited about that. Anyway, I want to give away a good amount of them but I don't know male or female or which breed. I took a picture of the few different patterns we have. Maybe a pro could give me some good advice :) We also had one born last night... another hen must have 1.jpg 3.jpg #1
4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg 9.jpg 10.jpg 11.jpg 12.jpg 13.jpg 14.jpg 18.jpg an egg in. I will mark eggs next time this all happens :)

4.jpg

Ok so long story short. I have Cream Legbars (1 rooster, 2 hens) and Black Copper Marans (1 rooster, 2 hens). They are about a year old. My Black Copper Maran went broody for the first time and it took my husband and myself about a week or so to realize what was going on (first broody hen). Anyway, we also didn't realize that she had gone broody in the hens favorite box. Anytime she got up the other hens would lay their eggs. After a week well lets say we had a large amount of eggs under her that had already started incubating. We decided we would let her hatch them out to experience the amazing way nature just works itself out. I have 2 daughters so they were amazed with the whole process. Our 12 chickens are about 3 weeks old now and I do not know which ones are pure bred and which ones are mixed breeds. I heard the mix breeds of these two would produce an Olive Egger so I'm kind of excited about that. Anyway, I want to give away a good amount of them but I don't know male or female or which breed. I took a picture of the few different patterns we have. Maybe a pro could give me some good advice :) We also had one born last night... another hen must have View attachment 1423203 View attachment 1423204 #1
View attachment 1423206 View attachment 1423207 View attachment 1423215 View attachment 1423216 View attachment 1423217 View attachment 1423218 View attachment 1423219 View attachment 1423220 View attachment 1423221 View attachment 1423222 View attachment 1423223 View attachment 1423224 an egg in. I will mark eggs next time this all happens :)

View attachment 1423206

it's kind of hard to say exactly which ones are crosses.... but there are some that have feathered legs so I'm assuming you have french black copper marans. which would mean that any of your black birds with no feathers on their legs are mixed.

You might have to wait to find out the gender of your chicks, but you might be able to tell based on their combs and waddles. If you compare all of their waddles and combs, all of the chicks with bigger combs and longer waddles are more likely to be boys. They are all so cute!

yes they are French copper marans. As I look at them yes I have about 4 with feathers on their feet so I’m leaning towards those are my pure BCM. Thanks so much!

You might have to wait to find out the gender of your chicks, but you might be able to tell based on their combs and waddles. If you compare all of their waddles and combs, all of the chicks with bigger combs and longer waddles are more likely to be boys. They are all so cute!
Thanks so much!! I love them! Yeah I thought at 3 weeks the boys would start looking different but I’m not seeing much of a difference in comb size or color. Like you said I guess time will tell!!

Back
Top Bottom