Meyer Hatchery: A Raise A long (Black & Blue Copper Marans, Cuckoo Marans, Easter Egger and Olive Eggers Galore)

Pics

Pumperkinz

Songster
Aug 14, 2021
Upstate New York (Albany Region)
Hi all starting this thread pre-emptively as I'll be getting my chicks in the next couple of days.

(Anxiously waiting on shipping to be updated as it's been 12+ hours with no movement lol). I know I need to be patient but I'm anxiety ridden cause shipping not being updated has happened on my other ones but the impatience on my part is unbearable.

Anyway here is the spread & breeds:

3 Black Copper Marans (1 Roo) (2 Hens)
2 Black Copper Marans (Hens)
2 Golden Cuckoo Marans (Hens)
4 Easter Eggers (Hens)
2 Black Ameraucana (Hens)
2 (Surprise/Meal Maker & Homestead Helper)

I'll try and get some pictures of each as we do and maybe try and do weekly updates depending on my work.

I have gotten many hens from Meyers. Currently I have...

One female EE frizzle who was not frizzly She is the color of burnt toast, (Toasty) and she has head feathers.

One BO Female-(Buffy)

2 Speckled Sussex, Female (One was supposed to be a rooster, but I lucked out) (Bobsey twins.) They don't get their own names.

2 EE one black one brown. Female, (Olive and Brownie.)

one welsummer female (Wendy)

The are on the cusp of laying and one is laying a grey-ish green egg. (olive)

How are you liking their temperament/overall personalities?

I'm excited to be getting some new mix's of marans as I loved my BCM's I found them all to be my most social ladies and sweetest.
Very much, so much so that I've gotten obsessed with them. I'm up to 11 total now. (2 boys and 9 girls).
I'm trying to learn genetics and breeding towards SOP and darker eggs and hopefully expanding into Silver Blacks this year.
Do you currently have BCMs or getting back into them?

Very much, so much so that I've gotten obsessed with them. I'm up to 11 total now. (2 boys and 9 girls).
I'm trying to learn genetics and breeding towards SOP and darker eggs and hopefully expanding into Silver Blacks this year.
Do you currently have BCMs or getting back into them?
We just moved upstate NY and I couldn't move the current flock/my family took the rest I had to their farm. I had a Wheaten Maran Rooster with a bunch of BCM/Welsummers and was having a great time mixing them. Wheaten/Welsummer Mix is my favorite combination and the hardiest I've had.

We moved to about 10 acres and I'm looking into getting into possibly having a breeding flock just for some BCM's and F1/F2 Easter Eggers possibly up here. I'm doing an assortment for the moment as I have a feeling I'll end up with 3/4 coops and multiple runs/free ranges as well.

I'd say probably in 1 year or so I'll get more into certain parts of genetics and SOP as the BCM is one of my favorite breeds. I'm just hoping this rooster I'm getting is a little more docile then my Wheaten. I loved my Wheaten roo but he was very aggressive/overly protective of the girls.

Back
Top Bottom