1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

12 BIRD HEN HOUSE

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by SeanBlack, Sep 9, 2013.

1. SeanBlack

SeanBlack Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2012
    Galway,Ireland
    Hello,
    I have 2 rhode island hybrid hens, I'm hoping to get ten more, I hope to make a 5 by 4 house for them. Is this enough for them
    [​IMG]

2. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Too small for that many birds, that is only 20 square feet, for 12 birds you need more like 48 square feet, and that's a minimum that is still too small in my opinion. It's always better to go bigger then the minimum requirements if at all possible. Happier birds = less stress and lessens the chances of a pecking problem getting started.
    Either need a bigger coop or less birds.

1 person likes this.
  3. thomasboyle

thomasboyle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    Northwest Hills of CT
    At 5x4, you can house 4-5 hens if they also have at least a 7' x 7' dedicated outdoor run. My recommendation is the build a coop much bigger than you think you will need. I can tell you from experience, you will want more chickens! I started with a dozen hens, and now have two dozen chickens and a dozen ducks. I converted an old shed into my coop, and I wish I had more room! Crowding leads to behavior problems and increases the potential for disease.

4. Joshua G

Joshua G Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Hixson, TN
    My chickens are happy with 3 Sq FT per bird.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by