Indoor coop outdoor run questions

Moose0

In the Brooder
May 10, 2024
Hello,
question for someone with more experience.
When y'all build a hen house that's inside another structure (ie. the Run is outside but u build an attached coop inside like barn or shed.) does anyone bother with insulation or does being inside do enough during winter? What about light and ventilation, should it have a window into the structure? Or could it be a less solid structure all together like just some 1×1 hardware cloth and a frame instead of solid walls, so there's lots of light and air movement. The structure I'm thinking of using is a 200sqft not heated garage made completely of cinder blocks with a tin roof. There's a well placed window low enough that I thought I could convert it into a ramped entrance for a raised hen house, 4×4 for my two Plymouth rock hens as someone else in the group suggested. My indoor quail pens are already in the space but I know Chickens are less hardy so am not sure how to make a space winter safe. Expecting temps from 18°f to -7°f for two months during winters.

Thanks for any info. Pic of our one of barred rock chick with a quail chick for motivation 😆

-cross posted of Facebook so I can get lots of opinions-

Attachments

• IMG_20240518_170436957.jpg
    IMG_20240518_170436957.jpg
    317.9 KB · Views: 20
Are your quail of the new world species(bobwhite, california, etc.)? Or are they old world quail? (button, coturnix, etc.)
If the latter, chickens are way more hardy. If new world quail, most breeds of chickens are just as hardy.
Where are you located? (climate)
IMHO, unless you artificially heat a structure, insulation is meaningless. At 4 AM in the middle of January, it will be the same temperature inside as outside if you are in the northern hemisphere.
(or in the middle of July in the southern hemisphere)

Are your quail of the new world species(bobwhite, california, etc.)? Or are they old world quail? (button, coturnix, etc.)
If the latter, chickens are way more hardy. If new world quail, most breeds of chickens are just as hardy.
Where are you located? (climate)
IMHO, unless you artificially heat a structure, insulation is meaningless. At 4 AM in the middle of January, it will be the same temperature inside as outside if you are in the northern hemisphere.
(or in the middle of July in the southern hemisphere)
I raise coturnix, (I'm considering looking into becoming a registered bobwhite breeder our area is regulated) they do fine in the winter as long as they are away from breezes, which with my cages inside they are. They just have open wire sides and sand bed pens, some open face wood boxes for the shy ones. there are multiple to a cage and they huddle well. I'm just not sure if the same set up would be ok for the chickens or if the need closer walls to try and conserve heat, especially since there are only two. My quail are for industry. But the chickens are just pets, and we can only have two by our city ordinance. -our ordinance forgot quail exist it's why I have them instead of just a giant chicken flock- area is south Ks/Mo depending on which way I sneeze.

The laugh is for the city's omission of quail.
I went through an ordeal in my city on the east side of your state. The north side of St. Louis County. So we have virtually the same climate except it is usually just slightly colder in KC. (I've lived there 4 times.) You get more snow too.
That said, chickens in general, are way more cold hardy than coturnix.
Add to that, Plymouth Rocks were developed in Massachusetts in the mid 1800s when no one cared about or had the ability to heat a coop.
I raise a much more heat tolerant breed than rocks so slightly less cold hardy but still, mine have handled temps down to minus 19 with the windows wide open and a box fan on the sill blowing in toward the birds 24/7 year round.
Never a sick bird. The more fresh air the better and they don't get cold.

Back
Top Bottom