12 + Blue Barnevelder hatching eggs

My eggs appear to be going strong! I had a couple that I had to toss ....... But overall - right now things are looking great!

Can you tell a blue from a black chick at one or two days after they hatch? I shared with you that I purchased chicks - all males except one......... I have one blue and all the rest are black. The odds are just so against what I think is right :(

Getting closer to hatching......... On day 13...........

My eggs appear to be going strong! I had a couple that I had to toss ....... But overall - right now things are looking great!

Can you tell a blue from a black chick at one or two days after they hatch? I shared with you that I purchased chicks - all males except one......... I have one blue and all the rest are black. The odds are just so against what I think is right :(

Getting closer to hatching......... On day 13...........
I can start to make guesses at a few days old. Some chicks show blue earlier as soon as a day or so after hatching. My hatches have pretty much followed the 50% / 50% ratio for boys vs girls and black vs blue. I can't tell or even guess which eggs will end up what color or sex...so ideally you should hatch average% of each. But the "odds" are never equal and it is possible to get weird results like all black pullets and all blue cockerels.

I am sorry you had such an odd ratio of boys vs girls and color with your chick order:( I hope your hatch with my eggs goes much better
fl.gif

I can start to make guesses at a few days old. Some chicks show blue earlier as soon as a day or so after hatching. My hatches have pretty much followed the 50% / 50% ratio for boys vs girls and black vs blue. I can't tell or even guess which eggs will end up what color or sex...so ideally you should hatch average% of each. But the "odds" are never equal and it is possible to get weird results like all black pullets and all blue cockerels.

I am sorry you had such an odd ratio of boys vs girls and color with your chick order:( I hope your hatch with my eggs goes much better
fl.gif

I think I would have thought it a coincidence to have mostly all black - but add the 99% males and I think I got taken
sad.png
........ But I can take one male and the female from this group and add them to the chicks I hope to hatch from your eggs and have a nice little "flock"
smile.png
......... It's the money I spent for the chicks that is hard to swallow.

I am excited to see what hatches from your eggs!
smile.png

Well, the hatch has arrived!!! Here are my results:

Received 19 eggs, none broken (thanks for the excellent packing).
4 - No development at all (three were sweating/leakers)
1 - Quitter at day 5-ish
1 - Dead in shell (I had high hopes for this egg, very nice color, the fully developed chick never pipped at all and I was too late going in after him)
1 - No pip, but rescued and appears to be doing great
12 - Natural hatch

13 Little ones doing great. I haven't examined them closely, but it appears that I might have more boys than girls. 2 Chicks are splash, one being much lighter than the other. Two chicks are noticeably lighter in color on their backs, more of a dark brown compared to the others who appear almost black striped. Does any of that (color) mean anything to you? Not that it matters, just curious really!

Anyway, I would like to thank you again for the eggs, it's going to be hard waiting on these guys to grow up to see what they end up looking like. I'll post when I have more concrete info on what my girl/boy ratio turned out to be.

C.J.

Trisha,

I hatched 10 gorgeous little chicks from you on sunday!! Such pretty little fuzz balls! 12 made it to lockdown and I had pulled the other 4 because of wonky air sacs!

Thank you so much!!
Casey

Back
Top Bottom