12 day old quail pics

Discussion in 'Quail' started by lagpmgdsls, May 15, 2009.

1. lagpmgdsls

lagpmgdsls Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    Here is an updated pic of my 2 week old Quail...most are jumbos and 3 are regular size. You can see how much bigger the jumbos are in the pic...they were 12 days old in this pic.

[​IMG]

2. vtsarahb

vtsarahb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Bradford, VT
    cute! are you raising them for meat or as pets?

3. lagpmgdsls

Apr 6, 2009
    Well, my first plan was to raise them for eggs but if I have 2 many roos in this bunch I may need to have some meat also. I just don't know that I can do it...the act ...ya know.

A friend of mine says she would do it for me if needed...she also has chickens and ducks so she done it before.

4. emvickrey

emvickrey ChowDown Silkie Farm

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    We have decided to start a quail hatching. We are putting ours in the freezer when they get big enough.

5. lagpmgdsls

Apr 6, 2009
    Within the next 2 weeks I will have a total of 5 pens for the quail...ideally I will have a total of 6 roos and 20-25 hens. That would be plenty of eggs for consumption plus extras.

I have 1 hen and 1 roo who are just about 8 weeks...she has laid me an egg everyday since last Monday.

6. emvickrey

emvickrey ChowDown Silkie Farm

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    I'm new to quail and need to learn alot before my eggs hatch. If you could give me any advice I would really appreciate it. I hear that it takes 18 days for them to hatch, it that right? Also, how do you tell the hen from roo? Do they eat the same starter as chickens or do they need something different? They start laying eggs at 8 weeks old? Thats amazing.

7. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

Nice looking quail!

Steve in NC

8. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

Quote:We feed ours a 28% protien game bird starter. They are amazing birds! We have had ours a little over 2 years now and I wish I had known about them sooner - we would have had them along time ago.

Steve in NC

9. LilbitChicken

LilbitChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    LOVE THE QUAIL! We are hoping to get quail chicks from my SIL in 8 days! [​IMG][​IMG]

10. lagpmgdsls

Apr 6, 2009
    I can't find 28% around here so I give 24% and supplement with some other protien daily...usually meal worms or hard boiled egg. They go absolutley nuts over the meal worms...its so fun to watch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by