12 hours not enough to build a coop :( Pic Heavy

I had an old timer tell me his only issue with critters getting in his coop was they chewed through the flooring so I figured it would be added security to give them a taste of metal before one tried to get in my coop.

Be proud of yourself..you did an awesome job!
thumbsup.gif

What a wonderful and fast coop. I am so in awe not only how fast it was made but that it also looks very solid. I am always impressed by people who can build/make things. Like some others on here, my husband and I are DIY challenged.
hmm.png
....... On the other hand we are pros at using duct tape!!

Before sunday
89258_dscn5687.jpg

After Sunday 3 hours.
89258_dscn5721.jpg

I covered nest boxes and pop door isn't openable yet due to no run. I closed off nest boxes also. I still need to install poop boards. They seem happy. I am in the dog house though what a mess our diningroom is....sooooo much dust from them being in there for 6 weeks(I work 2 jobs and am very involved with our church so no time to build a coop now i gotta build a run lol). I am trying the stall dry pellets thats what i used inside the house in a 3x4 dog crate seemed to work ok.

Last edited:
Very impressed with how much you accomplished in such a short time. Your chickens look very happy about their new home, so I can only imagine how much happier your wife is.

I'm curious about the internal dimensions of your coop. Is it in the neighborhood of 4 x 8 x 5 feet tall inside? What's the overall height?

Beautiful work!

4x8 floor space one wall is 4' and the other is 5' shed style roof. I ripped 2x4's in half and did 16 on center. Used styrofoam insulation and luan board for inside and outside walls 3 coats of paint (used my power painter i got years ago and never used until now). Total time on coop was 15 hours I spent 3 hours sunday to do interior walls and roost so girls would be out of the house lol. If I was to ever get chickens again I would def. have coop and run done beforehand. Some of the dining room had over 1/4" of chicken dust no joke my wife wants to kill me lol.

I've never had chickens before, so I'm in the dark on most things that concern them. I'm reading every day and learning and hope to have a coop and run built this fall..(it's way to hot in Texas to start anything now). But, I have a question...what is chicken dust?

Last edited:
Chickens are very dusty i guess you could compare it to our dandruff. They are constantly grooming themselves to remove this from themselves.

Back
Top Bottom