12 hours, pipped but no zip

Yup--don't panic until it's been well over 24 hours. Pipping is hard work. They like to rest and absorb the rest of their yolk before the hard work of zipping & popping.

If you like, you can "cheep" at them a little and it will sometimes cause them to move a little (especially if you can see the beak). That might set your mind at ease but by the same token, don't panic if they *don't* move when you cheep. They're tired!

Most do not realize that the process of hatching is a complicated and tiring one.

The chick has orientated itself to the air sac and punched a hole throuhg it. The chick has called it's mama that it is ready to be put in front (peeps) so it will no sufficate once the pip is done.

The chick has then pushed through the membrand and has pecked a hole for a pip.

The chick is very tired and still very much absorbing it's yolk sac.

It is not uncommon to see a chick rest at this point. It is breathing air from the outside world, so it is good.

Just make real sure that the membrane is open and the chick has access to the outside air.

Zipping will occure rather quickly once the chick is ready to go.

Last edited by a moderator:
be patient.

hope they'll make it, all mine hatch 3 hours after pipped, except POD.
smile.png
so keep waiting and see any chance to help if they can't make it through.

I'm at the same place right now. This is my 1st hatch so I am trying really hard to be patient. I had 2 pips when I came home last night so it's been more than 16 hours now. Now I am up to 4 pips and the 3rd one to start is zipping.
pop.gif

they will be fine. dont open the bator, but look all you want. its a lot of fun watching. and as you will find out, incubating is very addictive. my first bator ran stop for 8 months. its hatching fever. good luck........

You know, I always sit on my hands and do nothing (but I really want to.) Then if one dies I kick myself in the behind about not helping it. It is so hard to make that decision. Sometimes I am just so confused. I guess I should just remember to leave it alone no matter what, and whatever happens it was nature.

Debbie

You know, I always sit on my hands and do nothing (but I really want to.) Then if one dies I kick myself in the behind about not helping it. It is so hard to make that decision. Sometimes I am just so confused. I guess I should just remember to leave it alone no matter what, and whatever happens it was nature.

Debbie
I know this post is from 2009 but I’m in my first hatch with diy hatcheries that I made on a whim and stuck store eggs in. To no one’s surprise, they were all infertile and two of them almost turned into egg bombs… So I told my coworker who had been giving me free infertile eggs from his chickens a while, he’s got like 35 to 40 laying hens, and he won’t take money for tithe eggs :(. I was telling him about the store egg experiment, and he decided to give me four fertile eggs!

So I got everything set up. I have the hygrometer & thermometer in there. I set it up to turn on and off based on what temperature and humidity they’re reading out, and all but one of them seemed to be nonviable. Fast forward to this morning at 11:30 AM. I decided to check on it after that been locked down for two days was day 20 technically , and I heard peeping. Turns out it had not only pipped on the wrong side, but in addition to the wrong side, it pipped face down toward the floor and still smacked off a whole chunk of shell against all odds and gravity! It’s been over 12 hours since the pip, and it has made a much larger hole as far as the shell and membrane go, but no zipping. I am ensuring that the humidity stays where it needs to, with the temperature set steady as well (and it hasn’t dried it out) , but I feel like my little one is tired. I know everyone says it can take up to 24 hours to zip but he pipped internally and externally in one go due to positioning, but I feel at this point like if I don’t do anything then he’s gonna be gone. Either way your post really made me feel so much better. Because I’m over here in the same situation thinking if I don’t help him he’s gonna die. If I do help him he’s gonna die and I just don’t know what to do so I’m falling everyone’s advice. I’m leaving him in there, can pray it works out.

your post and I wanted to thank you, because it really does make me feel so much better. I’m still so nervous! Because I feel like if I help him, I am more than likely will not hurt him and he won’t make it, but I also feel like it seems like he’s stuck? And if I don’t help, then, he’s also not gonna make it… He’s very active. He’s very noisy and he’s rocking around, but he’s only sticking his beak through that same one general large hole in the membrane and shell. So I intend to sit here, and white knuckle it, and pray that he finds a way out. He’s the only one that even had development, so I feel like a lot is at stake..

Be patient. It really can take up to 24 hours to start zipping. If you do decide to help, there is a really good post somewhere on this site about assisting hatching. Not sure what it was called but if you dig around you'll find it. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom