12 hours, pipped but no zip

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by McCord6, Sep 26, 2009.

1. 2 eggs have pipped but still has not zipped and it been more then 12 hours now. One looks like a beak is sticking out of the hole but no movements or anything. Did these two eggs quit?

2. poultryhaven

poultryhaven Addicted to Seramas!

Jan 19, 2009
    Ocala, FL
    Probably not, they are just getting use to breathing. It can take over 24 hours just for them to hatch

3. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Yup--don't panic until it's been well over 24 hours. Pipping is hard work. They like to rest and absorb the rest of their yolk before the hard work of zipping & popping.

If you like, you can "cheep" at them a little and it will sometimes cause them to move a little (especially if you can see the beak). That might set your mind at ease but by the same token, don't panic if they *don't* move when you cheep. They're tired!

4. Most do not realize that the process of hatching is a complicated and tiring one.

The chick has orientated itself to the air sac and punched a hole throuhg it. The chick has called it's mama that it is ready to be put in front (peeps) so it will no sufficate once the pip is done.

The chick has then pushed through the membrand and has pecked a hole for a pip.

The chick is very tired and still very much absorbing it's yolk sac.

It is not uncommon to see a chick rest at this point. It is breathing air from the outside world, so it is good.

Just make real sure that the membrane is open and the chick has access to the outside air.

Zipping will occure rather quickly once the chick is ready to go.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2009
  5. mulia24

mulia24 Chillin' With My Peeps

be patient.

hope they'll make it, all mine hatch 3 hours after pipped, except POD. [​IMG] so keep waiting and see any chance to help if they can't make it through.

6. justmeandtheflock

justmeandtheflock Overrun with ducklings :)

May 27, 2009
    NW NJ
    I'm at the same place right now. This is my 1st hatch so I am trying really hard to be patient. I had 2 pips when I came home last night so it's been more than 16 hours now. Now I am up to 4 pips and the 3rd one to start is zipping. [​IMG]

7. bigdawg

bigdawg AA Poultry

Jun 28, 2009
    middle tenn
    they will be fine. dont open the bator, but look all you want. its a lot of fun watching. and as you will find out, incubating is very addictive. my first bator ran stop for 8 months. its hatching fever. good luck........

8. robbdebbie

robbdebbie Professional Chicken Bather

Jun 18, 2009
    Madisonville, LA
    You know, I always sit on my hands and do nothing (but I really want to.) Then if one dies I kick myself in the behind about not helping it. It is so hard to make that decision. Sometimes I am just so confused. I guess I should just remember to leave it alone no matter what, and whatever happens it was nature.

Debbie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by