12 hours, pipped but no zip

FenDruadin

Crowing
10 Years
Jul 30, 2009
Charlotte, NC Area
Yup--don't panic until it's been well over 24 hours. Pipping is hard work. They like to rest and absorb the rest of their yolk before the hard work of zipping & popping.

If you like, you can "cheep" at them a little and it will sometimes cause them to move a little (especially if you can see the beak). That might set your mind at ease but by the same token, don't panic if they *don't* move when you cheep. They're tired!

Guinea Goonie

Roosting Elsewhere
12 Years
Sep 2, 2008
Peace Valley in Howell County Missouri
Most do not realize that the process of hatching is a complicated and tiring one.

The chick has orientated itself to the air sac and punched a hole throuhg it. The chick has called it's mama that it is ready to be put in front (peeps) so it will no sufficate once the pip is done.

The chick has then pushed through the membrand and has pecked a hole for a pip.

The chick is very tired and still very much absorbing it's yolk sac.

It is not uncommon to see a chick rest at this point. It is breathing air from the outside world, so it is good.

Just make real sure that the membrane is open and the chick has access to the outside air.

Zipping will occure rather quickly once the chick is ready to go.

Last edited by a moderator:

mulia24

Songster
10 Years
Aug 9, 2009
Country of Power Failure
be patient.

hope they'll make it, all mine hatch 3 hours after pipped, except POD.
smile.png
so keep waiting and see any chance to help if they can't make it through.

justmeandtheflock

Overrun with ducklings :)
10 Years
May 27, 2009
NW NJ
I'm at the same place right now. This is my 1st hatch so I am trying really hard to be patient. I had 2 pips when I came home last night so it's been more than 16 hours now. Now I am up to 4 pips and the 3rd one to start is zipping.
pop.gif

bigdawg

AA Poultry
10 Years
Jun 28, 2009
middle tenn
they will be fine. dont open the bator, but look all you want. its a lot of fun watching. and as you will find out, incubating is very addictive. my first bator ran stop for 8 months. its hatching fever. good luck........

robbdebbie

Professional Chicken Bather
10 Years
Jun 18, 2009
Madisonville, LA
You know, I always sit on my hands and do nothing (but I really want to.) Then if one dies I kick myself in the behind about not helping it. It is so hard to make that decision. Sometimes I am just so confused. I guess I should just remember to leave it alone no matter what, and whatever happens it was nature.

Debbie

Top Bottom