12 week old bantam head swollen eyes starting to puff

natabat29

In the Brooder
Jun 15, 2017
Hello- Just yesterday I checked on my chickens and noticed my bantam chicken Alvin had a raised lump on left side of her head. I thought maybe the rooster stepped on her by accident as he is much bigger than her. Today the lump is still there and seems "puffyer" and her eyes seem puffy as well.
Everything else about her is fine. She is running around the yard and eating and drinking. I'm praying it's not a contagious bacterial infection?
I know this is stilly-but could it be a food allergy? She ate cherries for the first time the day before, thats the only thing that was much different.

My guesses without a picture would be a peck Mark, a insect bite, or possibly fowl pox. All will heal without any intervention generally.

Just took this now. She just went into the coop

Attachments

• IMG_9203.JPG
    IMG_9203.JPG
    315.5 KB · Views: 8
I would say do not worry about the cherries.
She probably got pecked.
Just keep an eye on her.

I would say do not worry about the cherries.
She probably got pecked.
Just keep an eye on her.

Okay thank you. You don't think it could be swollen head syndrome do you? Thoughts on separating her? I am very new to chicken life. And this little lady is my absolute favorite in the world. I want to do anything I can to make sure she's healthy

No...stop googling stuff. You are going to diagnose her with something horrible before you know it.
lol
Seriously.
Sometimes these things just happen....
Do you have a mixed flock of bantams and large fowl?

I would think insect bite, maybe even bee sting. See how she looks in the morning. If she isn't acting sick more than likely she isn't.

No...stop googling stuff. You are going to diagnose her with something horrible before you know it.
lol
Seriously.
Sometimes these things just happen....
Do you have a mixed flock of bantams and large fowl?

You are probably right lol google has a way of making your mind wonder for the worst.
Yes mixed flock of bantams and large fowl. She is the smallest of everyone.

Back
Top Bottom