1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

12 week old cant stand

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Shyla-C, Dec 22, 2012.

1. Shyla-C

Shyla-C Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2012
    Western WA
    I have a 12 week old Spitz cockerel that as of this afternoon can not stand. When I gently pull his legs out, he pulls them back under him. He extends them out when I lift him, but he can not support himself. The other 2 in the coop with him are fine as of right now. His crop is full just like the others. Any ideas what is going on? I have sulmet on hand, should I give him that? I brought him inside.

2. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Check him for injury's. It doesn't sound like Mareks since he can pull his legs back under him.

3. Shyla-C

Shyla-C Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2012
    Western WA
    Thank you for the advice. I just finished checking him over. I didn't see or feel anything unusual. I was adjusting the tarp over their run when I noticed him huddled in the corner so maybe it is an injury.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by