12 week old chicken...what breed and gender?

newchickenista

Songster
8 Years
Jan 25, 2012
Southeastern, Oklahoma
Good morning all!

I have five 12 week old chickens (or they will be 12 weeks on Thursday). Three are barred plymouth rocks and I am 99% sure they are females. The chickens I have questions about are the other two. I am going to post the pics of them in two seperate posts so there is no confusion. I'm also not going to give you any more information about them until you guys tell me what breed and gender you think they are. I don't want to sway anyone's votes
wink.png
!! I am looking for any bit of help I can get y'all, I've only owned chickens for 12 weeks so I am a newbie!

Ok, chicken #1, here ya go:

tThe Chicken Here in the very front

These are all pics of the same chicken (with some other chickens in the background). I know the pics aren't great (they are feisty little boogers when you hold 'em!) And it's hard to get a clear pic through the wire (trying to keep the chickens protected from our gang of street fighter cats, or else I would just set 'em down in the yard). Hope you can provide any info to the breed and gender of this chicken PLEASE!

Thank you so much! I thought she was a RIR Hen, but wanted to make sure. If you see my other post, I think I also have a Production Red Hen and what was always throwing me off is, the older they got, they were very different from each other...so glad to have this cleared up!

Anyone have any thoughts on the Barred Plymouth Rocks in the pics? You can't see 'em too well but I'm fairly certain that they are hens (and I did buy them out of a pullet bin). On all three of them the front of their legs are VERY black (I read somewhere that if it were a rooster they would have bright yellow legs).

Anyone have any thoughts on the Barred Plymouth Rocks in the pics? You can't see 'em too well but I'm fairly certain that they are hens (and I did buy them out of a pullet bin). On all three of them the front of their legs are VERY black (I read somewhere that if it were a rooster they would have bright yellow legs).
All are girls. My 6 week old boys have bigger wattles :p
_MG_7803.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom