12 week old Easter Egger - pullet or roo??

Aug 2, 2018
66A61235-E846-4A2E-9D81-82A11E701FC3.jpeg
Okay folk...the gorgeous white bird in the photo is Margaret. I have suspected for a while that Margaret is actually ‘Man-gret’ and have loosely set up a new home for him if my suspicions are correct.

All of the experience out there on BYC will likely be able to give me a concrete answer - I’d hate to have my kids so sad to say goodbye only to find out I was wrong. Thanks in advance for any guidance!!!

At 12 weeks, yes, it is probably a cockerel. Do you remember at what age this bird started to show signs of a larger, redder comb? That could help us confirm.

This bird is all white, and that makes it much harder to detect the beginnings of male specific feathering. A good clear shot of the saddle area, which is below the tail and right back from the wings, could help, and also a good clear shot of the back/shoulder areas.

At 12 weeks, yes, it is probably a cockerel. Do you remember at what age this bird started to show signs of a larger, redder comb? That could help us confirm.

This bird is all white, and that makes it much harder to detect the beginnings of male specific feathering. A good clear shot of the saddle area, which is below the tail and right back from the wings, could help, and also a good clear shot of the back/shoulder areas.
My approximate timeline for the comb...obvious 3 rows of peas around 4-5 weeks...started to pink up around 6-7? It’s always had really thick legs (which sparked my suspicion right away) and has always had this upright “in the boss” stature

Back
Top Bottom