12 week pullet eye injury

Kheil12

Hatching
Mar 21, 2021
Our sweet Laney has one injured eye and I feel like it is getting worse. Any help would be much appreciated.

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
Olive Egger, 12weeks, not sure about weight.

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
One closed eye

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
One week

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
No
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
No, only her eye that’s closed. No sign of respiratory infection. No sneezing, no drainage from nose or eye.

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
Nothing that we can think of.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
She was eating and drinking normally until today. She eats scratch and peck grower, free ranges (supervised), chicken grit and sometimes scrambled egg as a treat. I’ve tried giving them kitchen scraps (lettuce, strawberries, grapes etc) but they never seem interested.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
Watery, today. Hard to tell beforehand because we just separated her today.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
Saline wash 2xday and vetericyn gel 2xday. I have Terramycin eye ointment ordered for delivery on Saturday 4/17. We gave her some electrolytes/probiotics in her water today - Hydrohen.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?

I’d like to treat her ourselves so she isn’t in pain.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
Yes, I’ve attached a pic.

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
She was outside in her coop/run with mulch, rocks, dirt, leaves in the run and sweet pdz in the coop tray (we have an omlet coop) until today. Right now she is separated inside and is on pine shavings.

things to note- our ladies just started sleeping outside and Laney’s eye started around that same time. They had been staying in the coop/run/free range (supervised) for about 2-3 weeks during the days leading up to their transition outside.

We live in Denver if that is helpful and it’s our first time owning chickens who are more like pets to our family, especially my two daughters.
Thanks so much for any help/suggestions.

Attachments

• 5DD5643E-FA84-4B2E-ABF0-F7366C015418.jpeg
    5DD5643E-FA84-4B2E-ABF0-F7366C015418.jpeg
    256.1 KB · Views: 9
Continue to flush the eye once a day and twice a day, put Neosporin in it until you get the terramycin, then use that twice a day.

If her behavior becomes lethargic, she may have a respiratory illness and an oral antibiotic may be necessary. Keep her separate for now in case she has a contagious ailment. You might want to start hunting down an oral antibiotic . This is a good one if you need to treat multiple chickens for respiratory illness. https://www.jedds.com/shop/tylan-soluble-100-g/ This site also sells fish amoxicillin in capsule form for treating one chicken. https://www.jedds.com/shop/fishmox/

Continue to flush the eye onec a day and twice a day, put Neosporin in it until you get the terramycin, then use that twice a day.

If her behavior becomes lethargic, she may have a respiratory illness and an oral antibiotic may be necessary. Keep her separate for now in case she has a contagious ailment. You might want to start hunting down an oral antibiotic . This is a good one if you need to treat multiple chickens for respiratory illness. https://www.jedds.com/shop/tylan-soluble-100-g/ This site also sells fish amoxicillin in capsule form for treating one chicken. https://www.jedds.com/shop/fishmox/
Thank you SO much for replying! Do I need to see a vet to get oral antibiotics? They seem harder to track town then in previous years. I’ll check out the site you recommended. Thank you very much!!

Online pet pharmacies sell fish and pigeon antibiotics that we use for chickens. Most don't require a prescription. You can also find these at Petsmart and other pet stores. If you have a pigeon supply store, those meds work splendidly for chickens.

The only roadblock you would have is if you live in California, these places won't ship to you because of the strict state laws against antibiotics. This is why you need to include your location in your profile, so we know these little things when we advise you.

Online pet pharmacies sell fish and pigeon antibiotics that we use for chickens. Most don't require a prescription. You can also find these at Petsmart and other pet stores. If you have a pigeon supply store, those meds work splendidly for chickens.

The only roadblock you would have is if you live in California, these places won't ship to you because of the strict state laws against antibiotics. This is why you need to include your location in your profile, so we know these little things when we advise you.
Not in California, we’re in Colorado. :)
Thanks for the info, I was having a hard time figuring out how to get oral antibiotics without a prescription. Really appreciate your help.
Should I apply neosporin directly to the top of eye so she blinks it in the eye? I know it’s bad to get in humans eyes but assuming it’s ok for chickens?

Back
Top Bottom