12 weeks old, no comb?

Courtney Jane

Chirping
Nov 13, 2018
Perth Western Australia
Hi guys!
First time chicken owner here. I have had my (hopefully) girls for 6 weeks now and they are currently 12 weeks old. 2 of them have normal single combs but one has almost no comb at all? They are from the same batch. Not sure on their breed but they’re from a farm so I’d say they’re a mix. Just curious as to why the comb is like this? Thanks! Photos of 2 different chickens to show comparison

Attachments

• 71BEB4DC-191E-4E16-B0E6-E4C6345358A9.jpeg
    71BEB4DC-191E-4E16-B0E6-E4C6345358A9.jpeg
    382.3 KB · Views: 92
  • DF2FE203-6E67-4C4F-9B05-CBF520FFFCB1.jpeg
    DF2FE203-6E67-4C4F-9B05-CBF520FFFCB1.jpeg
    745.7 KB · Views: 72
Concur with @JedJackson the barred bird has a smooth rose comb, like a Wyandotte (if you wanted to go look it up) and its perfectly normal. There are all different types of combs.
Also, I agree that it may be a cockerel, but I think the other is a cockerel as well. In these pics at least, they have the same color and size to their wattles.

The barred bird has a rose comb, and it look perfectly normal. It will grow larger in time. I am thinking that one is probably a cockerel, but give it a few more weeks to be sure. The other bird looks like a pullet.

Ah okay thank you! I’m a bit confused as to why they have different kinds of combs if they’re from the same batch? Is it because they’re a mixed breed they get different traits from the different breeds? Also what makes you think it’s a cockerel? I’ve been trying to work it out for weeks!

Ah okay thank you! I’m a bit confused as to why they have different kinds of combs if they’re from the same batch? Is it because they’re a mixed breed they get different traits from the different breeds? Also what makes you think it’s a cockerel? I’ve been trying to work it out for weeks!
You got it-- they are getting different traits from different parents. So someone in the flock has a rose comb. Wyandottes, Dominiques and Hamburgs are popular breeds with rose combs, so one of those could be one parent.

Mainly, I am looking at wattle and comb development and color to sex them. They have a lot of development in those areas and a lot of color, too, for 12 weeks. And Frazzemrat is right, the white bird has the same amount of development. So they could be cockerels, for those reasons. But give them time because both are sort of on the borderline at this point. If those combs and wattled grow quickly and redden up in the next 3 or 4 weeks, it is pretty likely they are males. I hope not, though, for your sake.

Hi guys!
First time chicken owner here. I have had my (hopefully) girls for 6 weeks now and they are currently 12 weeks old. 2 of them have normal single combs but one has almost no comb at all? They are from the same batch. Not sure on their breed but they’re from a farm so I’d say they’re a mix. Just curious as to why the comb is like this? Thanks! Photos of 2 different chickens to show comparison

No worries at all normal beautiful:clap
Don't expect the comb grow large
I experienced the baddest thing with largest comb ever I've seen ii Surgicall remove the comb in 4 months ago small combs are best trust me

Back
Top Bottom