12+ white Ameraucana and B/B/S split for white

SteveH

Songster
10 Years
Nov 10, 2009
West/Central IL
Auction is canceled, please do not bid.

When I went to feed and collect eggs, I found about two thirds of my flock dead and several dieing. One breeding pen was 100 yds from the others, no contact with the others for several weeks, the only connection being feed from a new bag opened yesterday, no mold apparent. I'm seeking info this afternoon as to where I can get them necropsied.

Scratch that connection. My entire group of chicks is dead also, and they were never exposed to the others nor on the same feed. The only connection would be the water.

Last edited:
Where in Illinois are these coming from? Thanks!
big_smile.png

Quote:
I was just about to ask! LOL

I'm between Keithsburg and Oquawka, the river bottoms about 40 miles southwest of the Quad Cities.
ETA: If you ride horses, Big River State Forest and Equestrian Camp Grounds are located here.

Last edited:
It'll be a few days before I hear from the lab, but it was buffalo gnats. Since we traded some chickens, I called my neighbor to warn him I was having problems. He called back to report the buffalo gnats were driving his brooder chicks crazy and two or three were dead; and that people in this area have lost entire flocks to them before. He said they crawl in their beaks though the nostrils and get in their airways. He was putting up a fan to blow the gnats clear of the brooder. Another aquaintence called his cousin, who reported previous problems and claimed chlorine bleach spayed in the coop repels them. I saw them on my dead and dieing, but thought they had gathered on them after they went down.

Of 52 birds, I lost 45, including every pure bred. I'm left with 2 EE hens, 4 ISA Brown hens, and a white Ameraucana/CX pullet; one ISA is not healthy. I've dusted the survivor's bodies with Sevin, and hung glass containers of chlorine with holes punched in the lids in the coop and breeding pen/tractor.

I do have 14 chicks inside that hatched last week, and 42 eggs in the bator.

Last edited:
OMG Steve I'm soooo sorry!

Oh I just hurt for you right now. When I don't have words, so you know I'm upset for you.

If I can be of any help, let me know. My AMs aren't laying yet, but I have several colors.

Just so sad for you right now.

hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom