12 wk Pullet Swollen Neck

Chicklit87

In the Brooder
May 11, 2022
I have a 12 week old Buff Orpington with a swollen neck. Noticed it yesterday morning. After reading a few threads I withheld food overnight because I suspected it is a crop issue. This morning it is still noticeably large. I felt it and it felt firm to the touch (consistency of cooked chicken breast). I'm unsure how to proceed because these are my first chicks and I've read conflicting advice on vomiting birds.

They are fed Chick starter, Dumor Chick grit and a little bit of Dumor Scratch as a treat.

One thing to note: I did switch feed 4 days ago. The feed store was out of the chick starter I usually buy (Natrena NatureWise) so I bought what they had (Country Companion) as my girls were just about out of food. The associate at the feed store said abruptly switching food would not be an issue for chickens. This is the only pic I could get of her this morning, but you can see that it is swollen whereas the rest of my birds look empty.

Any advice would be appreciated.

eta: when I put food back out this morning she acted ravenous and was eating and drinking.

Attachments

• 20220627_060809.jpg
    20220627_060809.jpg
    657.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 20220627_071156.jpg
    20220627_071156.jpg
    554.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220627_071222.jpg
    20220627_071222.jpg
    520.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220627_071241.jpg
    20220627_071241.jpg
    537.3 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
It appears that she has an impacted crop. Long grasses can be one of the possible causes. Is she pooping, and what does it look like? Do you feed the grit in a separate container than feed? Be sure to recheck her crop early morning before she has eaten or drunk anything to see if it has emptied. Try giving her some chilled coconut oil cut into small pieces to peck, and make sure that she is taking plenty of water. Massage her crop several times a day, to try and break up the blockage. It can be dangerous to try and make a chicken vomit, since they can choke to death. Here is a good article about crop problems:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

It appears that she has an impacted crop. Long grasses can be one of the possible causes. Is she pooping, and what does it look like? Do you feed the grit in a separate container than feed? Be sure to recheck her crop early morning before she has eaten or drunk anything to see if it has emptied. Try giving her some chilled coconut oil cut into small pieces to peck, and make sure that she is taking plenty of water. Massage her crop several times a day, to try and break up the blockage. It can be dangerous to try and make a chicken vomit, since they can choke to death. Here is a good article about crop problems:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
I offer Dumor chick grit in a separate container, but they always spill it. I haven't noticed if she's been pooping differently, I can try to sit out and observe later. She is otherwise acting normally.
Should I separate her and put her back in the brooder like a little chicken ICU or would that stress her out? Is there a timeline for how long to do the coconut oil regimen? Thank you so much for your response. I've been anxious about it all morning.

You can offer the coconut oil once a day, about a tsp. She doesn’t need to be separated unless to make it easier for you to catch her to massage or check her crop.

You can offer the coconut oil once a day, about a tsp. She doesn’t need to be separated unless to make it easier for you to catch her to massage or check her crop.
She's a good girl and I was palpating it this morning while she was on the outdoor roost. I dont anticipate her giving me any trouble. I'll update after I give it a go. Thank you!

She just pooped on me during the crop massage and it was solid and gritty. She started opening her mouth a lot during the massage and the mass feels more pliable but isn't down yet. The article you linked said to repeat it in 30 minutes so I have her in the brooder with water waiting to do the second round. She's drinking a lot as well. I plan to put her back with the flock overnight but if its the same in the morning should I hold off feed and attempt the coconut oil again?

If she is opening her beak during the massage, ease up a bit. She may be getting some crop contents into the back of her throat. Try massaging in a downward motion. Stop any whole grains, such as corn, and feed her some watery chicken feed or some cooked egg. If her crop is not empty by morning, you may want to give her a liquid diet of electrolytes and mushy egg and yogurt.

If she is opening her beak during the massage, ease up a bit. She may be getting some crop contents into the back of her throat. Try massaging in a downward motion. Stop any whole grains, such as corn, and feed her some watery chicken feed or some cooked egg. If her crop is not empty by morning, you may want to give her a liquid diet of electrolytes and mushy egg and yogurt.
So, she's still active and acting normal this morning. She seems very hungry, but I separated her while her sisters eat. Her crop looks slightly smaller to me, but really only slightly. Her poop is runny, but she hasn't had solids in over 24 hours. I will attach a pic. Should I hold off on grit while giving the egg, yogurt liquid diet?

Attachments

• 20220628_063733.jpg
    20220628_063733.jpg
    395.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220628_063859.jpg
    20220628_063859.jpg
    219.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220628_063904.jpg
    20220628_063904.jpg
    229.7 KB · Views: 3
Update: Yesterday I gave her egg in the morning and moistened feed for dinner and gentle crop massage a few times during the day. Today it looks 80% better. Thank you for your help!!

Attachments

• 20220629_064228.jpg
    20220629_064228.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom