12 Year Old Male Turned into Quasimodo Overnight

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rodriguezpoultry, Mar 8, 2009.

1. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    I have a cock named Mr. Mom, he will be 12 years old in April.

I "believe" he had a stroke about 2.5 weeks back as he was "shaking" from side to side. Not to dislodge anything, like he couldn't control it. This is his "normal" posture (yeah, he's eating, like any man)
    [​IMG]

And here is what he looks like today:
    [​IMG]

He has been like this for 2 weeks now. I just assumed there was an injury to the area. I looked and there's nothing. I felt for lumps, knots, etc. Nothing. Another member on here suggested vitamin therapy, which I am going to try later today.

Has anyone ever seen this before? What do I do? What do you recommend for treating him?

Limitations:
    1. I cannot and will not separate him. He will freak out and I will have a dead bird in the quarantine pen (which is what I'm trying to avoid).

ETA: Here's the video of him this morning:
    http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g259/jrsygntbrdr1/Poultry/?action=view&current=Mikaela124.flv

Last edited: Mar 8, 2009
  2. Look for "gapeworms" Even though he may not be showing the classic signs, they still could be in his trachea.

I will subscribe to this post. It may be that this is a stroke, I have never had a chicken go to 12 years old !!
    Congradulations on that if nothing else. nice bird.

3. rodriguezpoultry

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Just wormed all of my birds about a month ago, so that's out, but, good suggestion.

If he could move out of this position, I would assume worms as well. I have a video loading on photobucket so you can see how he walks in this position.

Thank you, he's an AWFUL representation of a Light Brahma, but still special to me! [​IMG]

4. rodriguezpoultry

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Nobody has any ideas or suggestions?

5. Demeter

Demeter Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2009
    only thing I can think of is broken bone... but that probably wouldn't make sense

6. rodriguezpoultry

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Which bone would you guess was broken? (Besides neck...LOL)

7. TimeMist

TimeMist Out Of The Brooder

Sep 23, 2008
    New Zealand
    Wow he is a beautiful rooster!

I haven't seen anything like that picture before, he reminds me of a dog that's trying to have a poo. I'm wondering if he has an obstruction? How does his poo look?

8. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Only thing the stature reminds me of is when a hen becomes egg bound. Wonder if some internals got twisted up and he's some how taken up that position because it feels better? Else that stroke threw something off.

Good luck!

9. cowman910

cowman910 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    Suffolk County,NY
    [​IMG] every ones saying that its a disease, parasite, broken bone but did any body ever thing MAYBE he is trying to see his toes or something ? [​IMG]

10. NurseNettie

NurseNettie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    Northern Maine
    I wonder if he dislocated something while shaking like he did.... That's just a guess, I have no idea, unless, as suggested, he is in that position for comfort because there's another problem that can't be seen..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by