12 yr old Blue dog just bit the water meter guy...Update

thebritt

Songster
10 Years
Mar 5, 2009
Humboldt County
Our old blue heeler/beagle/pit(?) mix just bit the water meter reader and "drew blood" . We've had him on this property for 11 years. The guy said Blue bit him (no blood) last month, but didn't tell us about it. My 18 yr old DD was the only one home at the time during her lunch break. She heard the commotion and found this to be the sirtuation. The guy said he was P.O.'d last time, and now he's REALLY P.O.'d. She asked him if he had treats, as this has always distracted and placated the dogs (we up to 4 in the yard during the day) in the past. He said he couldn't carry around enough treats for every dog on his route. I'm thinking I'll keep a waterproof bag of treats on the gate, just in case, for the future. He says he comes around "about this time every month". DD gave our phone #'s so we could get a heads-up, and put up the dogs. I read a recent post about pepper-spraying a dog by a meter reader, so this is in the same vein. We have 2 acres, fully fenced, with an 8 ft chain-link along the road. He said next time he's going to beat the dog. Is it just me, or is there some animosity between these two? In the 11 yrs he's lived with us, he's never bitten the water person or the electric meter reader before.....
idunno.gif

Well, today (1/5/10) I called the water company to find out what my options were - get a call before he comes out, etc. Turns out he's been to Occupational Health thru Workman's Comp.
th.gif
I'm faxing proof of rabies vaccine/vaccine history tomorrow. His supervisor said I'd be getting a call/visit from Animal Control in the near future. Wonder why it took this guy 2 weeks? I mean, if he got bit back on Dec. 22, why am I just now hearing about the fact that he's so injured he had to seek medical care and Worker's Comp?
hu.gif

Last edited:
We had to put down one of our dogs because a meter reader came into the house when we weren't there. The meter reader sprayed wasp spray in his face.

Edited because I cant spell

Last edited:
All we know is he had a severe anaphilactic reaction. Our meter was inside the heated porch.

Is there a way you could keep your dogs in another part of the yard during that time of the month? That way if there is animosity (maybe the meter reader doesnt like dogs) they cant reach each other?

Quote:
Easier said than done. Our yard's layout is too convoluted to easily divide. House is in the middle, mother-in-law unit, pole barn, coops - there's no straight shot - and 74 yr old Mom needs to be able to easily navigate (don't want to block paths and divert her into the mud). If we can get a heads-up phone call, we can easily put them up (the guy doesn't complain about the GP!). And what is "this time of the month, anyway? Is this a 5-day window, like it is with women?
idunno.gif

Last edited:
Our Crazy Lucy HATES our mailman with a passion, and will not let him out of the truck, and also the same way with the UPS guy. I know the mailman has been mean to her and kicked her, and it has trickled down to any man in a truck . . .I bet the meter guy has screamed and hollered and kicked at your blue, or he wouldn't react the way he did. The UPS guy told my husband that he usually carries snacks, but didn't have any, that was the FIRST time. If I had a way to hang some on the mailbox, I would do it just to keep peace. Lucy is very very territorial, but I tell the guys that if they just talk to her and call her by her name, then she usually goes into her "please forgive me, I am such an idiot mode". It's funny to see her do that, and the gas guy has NO problem with her whatsoever because of knowing her name and making an effort. Anytime a dog goes crazy over someone, it makes me very suspicious!!

Call your water dept and ask about calling in your meter reading every month. Or, go there and pick up cards to mail in. We did this because our meter was inside and we worked during the day.
Dogs get confused because they bark at delivery people and the people leave. The dogs think that they have chased them off when in reality they were just there for a few minutes to make the delivery. This is one reason that delivery people get bit.
Having said that...years ago my 12 week old pup was maced by a mailman. He claimed that he felt threatened by the puppy.
roll.png

I'd be really really nice to the meter guy. He could have your dog taken and destroyed. Your homeowner's insurance could drop you as well. Make sure your old dog is put up, no matter if you think the guy has done something to "deserve" it. Now a days we don't have many rights as pet owners.
Slinky

It's not the meter guys responsibility to carry treats to possibly placate a dog. It's the owners responsibility to make sure the dog is secured. Call them each month and verify which day they are coming and secure your dogs for that day.

Back
Top Bottom