12 yr old Blue dog just bit the water meter guy...Update

Wait a second... he was there and bitten on the 22nd and now he's back for your MONTHLY reading again on the 5th?

That right there is a little hokey. Check your latest bill and see what date it shows as 'meter read' and ask the utility to confirm.
If there's no reading recorded for the 22nd then I'd very much like to know what the heck he was doing at your house that day.
Likewise if there WAS a reading on the 22nd, then why was he back a mere two weeks later?

If he's at your house 'about this time every month' then why does he claim two visits in two weeks?

Makes me wonder if he wasn't up to something else, got bitten for his 'something else' and then tried to make it legit.
Check that out, and if he was on your property without reason (NOT checking your meter) then make sure AC is aware of it.

I'd also make sure the Animal Control officer makes a note that the man said he would BEAT your dog upon next contact.
Threatening to beat any animal is a no no, actually doing it is a crime.... esp. if it can be proven he wanted/planned to.
If that's documented, and anything happens to your doggie, then you'll have a better chance of nailing the creep.

Old age can bring on many new behaviors in dogs including aggression and urninating/defacating in the house, ect. Sounds like your older dog has some senility. I would watch him for other signs of it. I don't know what to tell you regarding the bite. However if its happened twice now its bound to happen again.
sad.png

We put a lock on our gate. This was to keep anyone from accidentally leaving the gate open. But a extra benefit was that the meter reader had to ask permission before we let him in the fence.

Quote:
We used to have a lock on that gate, but our volunteer fire dep't chief said it would prevent them from access in case of a fire...but then, I know they carry bolt cutters...

Quote:
We used to have a lock on that gate, but our volunteer fire dep't chief said it would prevent them from access in case of a fire...but then, I know they carry bolt cutters...

I have to admit, I don't understand this logic. You don't have to keep your door unlocked so that they can have access to your home in case of a fire. So why would the fence be any different?

The old meter reader guy used to phone before he came but he was deathly afraid of dogs. He was so afraid of dogs he shouldn't have doing the rural route.
The new guy could care less if the dogs are here or not.

Heelers can be territorial and if they sense something might not be right with the guy (fear, doesn't like dogs etc) they can get protective.

It should say on your electric bill when the meter was read so it would be always around the same time. Doesn't make sense it was read 3 weeks early. I would phone the main office about that.

For the dogs safety (and the meter reader) I would lock him up for that day.

Quote:

I have to admit, I don't understand this logic. You don't have to keep your door unlocked so that they can have access to your home in case of a fire. So why would the fence be any different?

I think they are using it as a excuse, not a reason for quick entry to a fire. Easier for them. JMO

Quote:

I have never heard of that. Since when should you not be allowed to secure your property?
hu.gif
In my eyes a lock on the gate would be safer, not just because of the meter guy, but for keeping people in general off your property. Would posting a "Beware of Dog" sign, or even a couple, help?

Quote:

I have never heard of that. Since when should you not be allowed to secure your property?
hu.gif
In my eyes a lock on the gate would be safer, not just because of the meter guy, but for keeping people in general off your property. Would posting a "Beware of Dog" sign, or even a couple, help?

I think you are supposed to post a "dog on premises" type sign, because some court systems interpret "beware" to mean that you know you have a dangerous dog.

Of course RESPONSIBLY keeping a "known dangerous" dog on your OWN property should be just fine in the eyes of the law, they have been known to rule in rather odd ways
roll.png

I do have a "Beware of dog" sign on my front door, with a picture of a Dobie on it. It's all about break-in-deterrence though, because my dog's a big loud chicken. I'm not afraid of getting in trouble over it, but the OP *might* since she has been accused. I am still with the poster who thought that the meter guy got bitten somewhere else.

Back
Top Bottom