12th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-Along

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had only 7 out of 20 eggs hatch. Temp and hygrometer were calibrated. 17 of the chicks were moving at lockdown. Need to find out what I did wrong before the next hatch. One hatched on day 22, 4 hatched on day 23, 2 hatched on day 24.

:hugs What kind of incubator are you using, where was the calibrated thermometer placed in the incubator, and how did you calibrate the thermometer? Chicks hatching that late sounds like low temperature.

The problem with chickens anonymous is that first you have to admit you have a problem... and bantam addiction is not a problem to me! :gig
HA ha, same here -- why cure what is so much fun? 18 hens, one cock, 4 ducks, 2 drakes and now 11 ducklings over here. NO problem. No meetings or steps required. Oh and 10 ducks unwashed sitting on the counter, the incubator holds 22 so I am almost 1/2 way there . . .

@sayga

I'm really sorry about your little baby! :(

I haven't dealt with anything like what she has but I had a chick once that for whatever reason just could not get the concept of eating or drinking on his own. Nothing obvious physically wrong with him and he had plenty of energy but he wouldn't eat or drink (I knew something was wrong when by day 5 he would just peep and peep and peep). I ended up mixing some kaytee baby bird formula up and molding it into little rice-sized pieces. I'd open my little chicks beak and push it in, give him some time to swallow then repeat with the next piece and so on. It was very time consuming at first as half of the time he'd manage to spit it out. I kept at it though feeding him multiple times a day and carefully giving him some water by slowly dripping it onto his beak via syringe. By the second week he got easier to feed as once it was in his mouth he wanted to swallow it. By the third week he actually would sometimes peck it out of my fingers if I held it at eye level and he'd peck at the water coming out of the syringe tip. The 4th week he finally got the concept of pecking the food off my hand held at ground level and he was able to drink on his own. By 5 weeks he didn't need to be hand fed or watered anymore. It wasn't ideal, he was definitely stunted for awhile from the ordeal but he caught up to the other chicks in a couple months once he started eating without help. He's now around 9 months old and doing great.

I'm not sure if that helps but hand feeding is possible as a last resort if you have the time to do it (I was lucky that I wasn't working so was able to devote that time to my little problem chick).

I hope your baby will manage to figure out how to eat for you, good luck! :fl
I've done the same for a couple of chicks through the years. It's so rewarding to see them start on their own. 💞

I remembered my sister had a blind chicken (named Helen) and asked her if Helen was born blind. She was! My sister said she first fed her raw egg yolk from a syringe, then gradually moved the food lower and lower until the chick was eating wet chicken mash and yolk from a bowl. She had that chicken for years. I gave it one bantam chick as a friend and they get really upset when they’re apart already. They’re the same age, and the bantam is bigger than the full-size blind one. 😔 But she’s eating egg yolk so hopefully I can keep her going. I’ll probably have to start taking them to work. Gonna have to make some chick diapers and a little brooder at work...
I named the blind one Toph, from Avatar: The Last Airbender. Toph is a blind earthbender, a very cool, strong character.

Attachments

• A4CDE894-2827-4063-8BE9-AB58F0066D54.jpeg
    A4CDE894-2827-4063-8BE9-AB58F0066D54.jpeg
    573 KB · Views: 4
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom