12th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-Along

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 4 goose eggs started to pip yesterday. I hadn't seen much movement, so it was a releaf to see that the goslings had punched through. So far, so good. Now I just need to wait for them to escape their shells. First time incubating, I just had to start with the hardest eggs to hatch, lol.
I can't wait to see pictures!

This one likes to explore. The other hasn't left from under mom yet.
1618248706073.png

Does this mean I have female?

So, I have a chick sexing methods article and this is actually one of the newer methods I've added to my roster for it. From my preliminary testing using this method, it appears to be an extension of wing sexing. I've only tested 5 chicks so far using this method and it called all of them female, but only one was. Wing sexing, I'm past 50 chicks tested now and it's only been correct on about 57% of them. It is not an accurate means of sexing chicks because it is a sexlinked trait and your parent stock must be selected for the correct genes in order to make it work.

So, in other words, no, this does not guarantee that you have a female.

Most of the eggs were blanks. There were a few more that hatched after I took this photo but not what I was hoping for. I moved some of the males around and will try again.
20210403_133207[1].jpg
Congrats on your hatch! I count eleven in that picture, is that your final number?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom