12th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-Along

Status
Not open for further replies.
She’s doing fine. I’m so surprised. Sadly, a different chick died today, and I have no idea why. It was perfectly healthy at outward appearance. When my child told me a chipmunk chick died I immediately thought it was Hernia Butt. But no, Hernia Butt is doing fine! She’s out of the incubator and in the brooder with the rest. She’s just fluffy enough that it doesn’t show too much so the others aren’t pecking her much.

WOW! I'm so glad she's still doing well! I thought for sure it would be a tough update with that big of a hernia! I'm sorry about the other loss though. :hugs

Meet my chicks. This is after I sold a few, so it’s not my whole hatch. Also, extra pics of my SuperFloof, named Hagrid, because he/she looks more like a vole or a hairy potato than a chick.

Hagrid is the BEST NAME! We have some super floofers this hatch too. I might have to steal that name idea. :lau

I really like my RIR + SLW and RIR + GLW crosses. What are yours? 🤩
I haven't had much experience with crosses lol. I'm sure loving some of these cool little ones though. I've got a marans roo, a sussex roo & a cream legbar roo. I thought my sussex was the most active and goodness was I wrong. 85% of these babies look like marans babies. There's one baby that I've already dubbed my favorite though. He's all yellow with a few black spots on his back but he has feathered feet! As far as I know the only feather footed breeds I have are the marans. Its so cool looking. I have no idea who momma is though :/

Hi everyone, hope your hatches are going well!:fl The following people are people that set eggs. If any of you on this list have your final hatch numbers, will you please let us know how many hatched? We need your final hatch numbers to finalize one of the contests. If you aren't done hatching, don't worry, just let us know the number when you are done.

@AbyssalChooks
@AgnesGray
@AmesHillFarm
@Anne02
@Arkhams Joker
@AusHen
@awesomeayams
@BantyChooks
@BCPFarm
@BesideStillWaters
@beth1004
@BirdsBeesTrees
@BlueBaby
@bonz4bon
@BullChick
@CaramelKittey
@carsenann
@casportpony
@cfremder
@CharlemagneRoost
@cherrynberry
@Chicka_deee
@chicken1234
@ChickenCanoe
@chickenfarmergal
@ChickenLeg
@ChickenShenanigans
@Chickeria
@Chookwagn
@CluckNDoodle
@cmom
@Corbdee
@cppeace
@Croco Rico
@CSolis
@Cynthia12
@dandiducks
@Derangedplanet
@Di's Ladys
@Don 27
@Draconias
@Eggs by Happy Chickens
@EggSighted4Life
@electrycmonk
@elizabethu42
@Enn
@Faraday40
@FarmerKayy
@ForTheLoveOfSilkies
@gimmie birdies
@goldbean
@HappyDuckie
@homeschoolin momma
@Honora
@Janj76
@JCaseyHammond
@JewelBirds
@Josip
@JustAChickenLoverOverHere
@KalahariFerrari
@Katiewshrum
@kelseyk
@Kiki
@Kk Augy
@Knighstar679
@kylansgirl
@LadiesAndJane
@LadyCluck77
@Lilysbackgardenchickens
@Lulu-Dixon
@Lydia Huizenga
@LynnaePB
@MamaSug
@MandaRae
@mandi427
@Misfit_Chick
@Misfits Farm 92
@muddy75
@Northernflame
@Oldhallchicks
@OneMountainAcres
@owlbaby
@Parront
@pipdzipdnreadytogo
@Poultrybonkers
@pozees2
@Pyxis
@Razadia
@RebeccaBoyd
@RedneckAccountant
@Reiki Rooster
@rkadish
@Rysktal
@sayga
@sekeyslaks
@shaila
@shawluvsbirds
@SheaLoner
@smfarman
@spartacus_63
@StackedSfarms
@stormgirl82
@Strange Hatter Farms
@StuckeyFarm
@The Cave
@The Cottages
@The Moonshiner
@Trisseh
@Ugadawgs4
@UThobbyfarmer
@ValerieLovesChickens
@vall
@Vantic
@Verna Y
@Wickedchicken6
@WindyLookout
@WVduckchick

Veins are a good sign that there is still something happening in there but if it's late enough in development it can take longer for the veining to recede like you see in early quitters. I'm sorry if you already answered this but I sometimes forget who says what in these busy hatch-alongs. Do you have a secondary calibrated thermometer? Late hatches are most often caused by low temps.
I only have one thermometer; there was definitely something going on with the temps. I suspect more that it was too high temps because the one pip I had was 2 days early (did not make it).

Good to know she's progressing now!
Yay so happy to hear she is zipping!!! :wee

I hope the last eggs all hatch great for you too! :D
She got out this morning! She's... extra small compared to everyone else, including those who hatched after her.

Two Chicks 2021.JPG

I'm hoping this isn't anything to be concerned about and she'll catch up later. She seems to be fine. 🥰

All except one hatched on this batch! (I suspect the one died around day 14, but left it in just in case I was wrong.) I have 9 - five RIR, four RIR + SLW mixes. 🤩 I'm going to give it a few more days before PMing my hatch to make sure the last is dead but I didn't see movement.

I'm still waiting on the last stragglers to hatch today. However I had two eggs hatch that were bloody (blood showed up on the paper towels under the eggs). I don't know which chicks they were so obviously they're ok now, but why could that happen?
I had one like this too. I watched her hatch. All the blood was in the shell, and none on the chick. I was so concerned and then I was so confused but happy she was okay. Glad yours were also okay! Hoping as I catch up reading posts that someone had an explaination because I'm really curious as well.

This is what mine looked like:
IMG_7615.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom