12th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-Along

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't say that seeing blood is "normal" but occasionally you will have a chick that has some bleeding from the umbilicus cord after hatch. It doesn't always release perfectly clean from the shell and if there is a lot of tugging on the navel from dragging the shell, or some blood still remaining once it breaks there can be some minor bleeding. Since your chicks all look fine now I though think it was probably something like this. If you see blood inside a shell it could be from pipping through a blood vessel.
Oohhh well I'm glad that none of the chicks bled out then. 😬

Is it ok to have condesation in lockdown?
In most Incubators condensation means that the humidity is too high but I have seen it in a few that the hatches were fine. What does your hygrometer say?
Yes, but that seems excessive. You may have to remove some water.
Mine had condensation on the windows during the hatch. My new hydrometers / thermometers came in today after the last of this batch of eggs hatched. :he So I don't know what the humidity was. I was concerned about it being not high enough. I guess I didn't have to worry about that then. 😅

She’s doing fine. I’m so surprised. Sadly, a different chick died today, and I have no idea why. It was perfectly healthy at outward appearance. When my child told me a chipmunk chick died I immediately thought it was Hernia Butt. But no, Hernia Butt is doing fine! She’s out of the incubator and in the brooder with the rest. She’s just fluffy enough that it doesn’t show too much so the others aren’t pecking her much.
Glad she's doing okay but sorry you lost another. :hugs

I haven't had much experience with crosses lol. I'm sure loving some of these cool little ones though. I've got a marans roo, a sussex roo & a cream legbar roo. I thought my sussex was the most active and goodness was I wrong. 85% of these babies look like marans babies. There's one baby that I've already dubbed my favorite though. He's all yellow with a few black spots on his back but he has feathered feet! As far as I know the only feather footed breeds I have are the marans. Its so cool looking. I have no idea who momma is though :/
🤩 🤩 🤩

I had one like this too. I watched her hatch. All the blood was in the shell, and none on the chick. I was so concerned and then I was so confused but happy she was okay. Glad yours were also okay! Hoping as I catch up reading posts that someone had an explaination because I'm really curious as well.

This is what mine looked like:

Definitely from pipping through a blood vessel. Most of the time they ok when this happens they just take a little longer to hatch because the blood loss obviously makes them sleepy. I know people have lost chicks that pipped through blood vessels, so it happens, but most of the time they're ok. I've had one chick, last year, that the shell looked like this too.

I'm surprised at how many chicks hatched after the wild time I've had. 10 out in the brooder and I haven't counted what's in the incubator yet. I've hit a lull in the hatching, though. No new pips that I can see and everyone that pipped is out.

Got my new incubator ordered this morning, at least.
??? :caf Which Hovabator?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom