12th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-Along

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I threw some cayuga duck eggs in a couple days before my chicken eggs, separate incubator.

They are pipped. WHAAAA???
Were the incubators close to each other? Its been documented that ducklings will speed up their development while still in the egg if they hear other eggs preparing to hatch.

I found an article and posted it in this thread all about how chicks communicate with each other to coordinate their hatch:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/really-interesting-article.1358854/

@MGG shared her first hand experience of this happening too - really amazing.

The second wave. The third wave is in the green container.
One just hatched and one's zipping. I took some quitters out tonight.
I will update tomorrow morning when I know if the wee gaffer gets out. ;)

20210407_094548.jpg

20210408_123420.jpg

Were the incubators close to each other? Its been documented that ducklings will speed up their development while still in the egg if they hear other eggs preparing to hatch.

I found an article and posted it in this thread all about how chicks communicate with each other to coordinate their hatch:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/really-interesting-article.1358854/

@MGG shared her first hand experience of this happening too - really amazing.
Craaaaazy! Yes, they are in a separate incubator but right next to each other.

I had to throw away 8 eggs on the 6th day. Not a single of my shipped aracauna eggs developed so much as a vein. Absolutely nothing. Very disappointing as I paid $80 for the eggs.
But then since I had room in the incubator, I added a few more of my own eggs on day 6. They hatched yesterday and I got one really interesting baby out of it. Most of my Ayam Cemani mix babies are solid black, black fluff with pink skin, or platinum fluff with black skin or platinum with pink skin. The platinum ones might have a few black spots on their feathers. But last night I got a black chick with dark skin and a platinum face. I really wonder how it will feather out. In my experience so far, a chick with platinum feathers will be off white and a chick with black will stay black. Will this one be black with a white face? I’m excited.
Sorry about your Araucana eggs, but WOW those chicks are gorgeous! 🤩 The black one with a white face is really pretty! 😍 I'm curious how she'll feather out too!

My 8th hatchling passed away last night :( It hatched way too early and didn't have time to absorb its yolk sac before it ruptured in the incubator. I really tried my best to do everything I could to save it but things just didn't work out. :( He/she passed away peacefully among brothers and sisters. @OneMountainAcres, please drop my final count down to 9 :'(
I'm sorry you lost her. :hugs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom