13 1/2 Year Old Mallard is Going Bald.

restelle

Chirping
Dec 12, 2020
Sturgeon, Missouri
Hi,

I have a 13 1/2 year old Mallard hen who's going bald. The baldness began on her body, under both wings, then progressed to her wing "elbows", and now her neck is going bald. If this continues, she'll look like a Buzzard in a few months.

Her appetite, vocalization, and everything about her is the same as always. It's just the baldness.

The vet has no clue. other than that it might be hormonal.

She's had Ivermectin and she's an inside duck in a very clean environment.

The bare skin in completely soft with no broken shafts and her skin is perfect, without irritation.

Does anyone have any ideas? Is it possible that she will molt and grow them back, or is this normal for a geriatric duck?

Thanks!

It makes me think of a fungus/yeast infection. Has her skin been tested for fungus?

I've had ducks with yeast in those areas so that's why I thought of it. I feel you about her freaking out the whole way to the vet though - I have to comfort mine while my dad drives.

Does she take a bath daily and preen normally?

You might want to put apple cider vinegar (with the mother) in her drinking water, the dilution amount is 1 tablespoon vinegar to 1 gallon of water.

My vet has given me chlorhexidine for my duck's yeast infection on his vent. You can buy it online. I put 1 tablespoon in 1 gallon of water and then I pour some in a small container, soak cotton balls in it, and then gently dab his vent with the soaked cotton balls.

I can't say whether or not she actually has a yeast infection of course, but I don't think it's normal for even elderly ducks to be balding, so it sounds like something is wrong. So maybe taking some steps towards treating possible causes will work. Interested to see what others suggest though! :)

I've had ducks with yeast in those areas so that's why I thought of it. I feel you about her freaking out the whole way to the vet though - I have to comfort mine while my dad drives.

Does she take a bath daily and preen normally?

You might want to put apple cider vinegar (with the mother) in her drinking water, the dilution amount is 1 tablespoon vinegar to 1 gallon of water.

My vet has given me chlorhexidine for my duck's yeast infection on his vent. You can buy it online. I put 1 tablespoon in 1 gallon of water and then I pour some in a small container, soak cotton balls in it, and then gently dab his vent with the soaked cotton balls.

I can't say whether or not she actually has a yeast infection of course, but I don't think it's normal for even elderly ducks to be balding, so it sounds like something is wrong. So maybe taking some steps towards treating possible causes will work. Interested to see what others suggest though! :)
Yes, she gets baths, but I do it in the sink so I can dry her out so she doesn't get too cold.

She also has two heating pads to lye on if she needs.

She seems to try to preen normally.

Her whole head and neck are bright white feathers.

I will keep you all posted here. Maybe, we can help others down the road...

@restelle you mentioned the vet has no clue, so I take it the vet has checked her over?

I have no idea if this could possibly be it but might be worth reading
https://farmer-online.com/chickens-alopecia-in-chickens/

I knew furry animals could have alopecia but didn't know poultry could too.
Yes, she's been checked by an Avian vet and had her blood work, x-rays, etc.

She was a bit high in white blood cells, so they gave her some meds. This could have been elevated because of the stressful drive.

Thanks for the link, I'll read it.

Back
Top Bottom