My baby Molly is 13 1/2 years old and She's going BALD.

I'm sorry she has feather loss but at least she seems OK within herself. What kinds of treatments/tests did the vet try? For $1k, I would assume she had some tests that would tell you how she's doing from old age at least? E.g. a blood test that indicates organ function. If so, then at least you got something out of it that way.

My pets are precious members of the family and it's really hard when one isn't in good health or is getting old.

I have quite a few ducks that are 8+. The oldest, one is 10 1/2, two others will be turning 10 soon, another will be 12 in early June. All muscovies. So I often wonder how long ducks live...you hear 10-20 years typically but that's quite the age gap and not really an average. It's tricky to tell because a lot of people's ducks die from predators or from infections that went unnoticed as birds can hide their illness so well.

Whereas we tend to have a better idea of how long a dog breed will live based on other people's experience since dogs aren't quite as vulnerable/fragile and they're easier to find a good vet for.

My 10 1/2 year old has some kind of respiratory infection and I feel the same way about him as you do your Molly ❤️
The vet drew blood twice and did an x-ray, physical exam, and prescribed antibiotics because her white blood cell count was elevated. Molly's brother is the same age and he looks the same as he always has. Nice green head and great feather quality.

Even though they hide illness well, the one thing that always seems to be present is a lack of vocalization.

I had a Mallard drake that I hatched and he was always goofy and kinda like a runt and he lived 9 years and 8 months. He got quiet for maybe two weeks, but seemed normal otherwise until the morning he was flat on the floor, feet behind him, wings dropped, and panting. He passed away as I was on the phone trying to make an emergency visit.

So, I have learned that a lack of vocalizations is an emergency.

I hope your 10 1/2 year old gets well. Perhaps antibiotics are needed?

Back
Top Bottom