13 chickens, 3 nesting boxes, Is it doable?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by There A Chick, Aug 23, 2008.

1. There A Chick

There A Chick Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2008
    Creedmoor, NC
    I guess the rule of thumb is 3 chickens per nesting box, is that right? So, if I go by that, technically I'm short 1 nesting box but my coop is all feng shui with 3 nesting boxes. What's gonna happen if I stick with only 3 boxes and 13 chickens?

thanks.

2. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Look at a different reference book and it will say 5 hens per nest box, so technically you may be short by 2 hens. [​IMG]
    3 will work fine, and most will use the same one no matter how many boxes are available.

3. cthrash1

cthrash1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    I've read that it's 5 per nest box and that is what the old farmer told me as well that gave me the ten hole nest box(they had a chicken business at one time) so you need not worry I'm sure. [​IMG]

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Quote:I agree

5. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Thats plenty...they don't all lay at the same time usually and they always have a certain nestbox that is their favorite. They just wait their turns!! lol

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Mine have plenty of laying spots... but it wasn't till I had over 16 or so active layers that they'd use more than just ONE spot. [​IMG]

Sometimes you'd peek in and 3 birds sitting on each other would scream at you.

7. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Three is fine, they will make do, but i have always been told 4 per box was the average. they will be just peachey.

8. There A Chick

There A Chick Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2008
    Creedmoor, NC
    Wow! Well that is EXCELLENT news for me!! I was very worried about it and now I'll be able to sleep easy tonight. Thanks a ton you guys!

9. ChickenCop

ChickenCop Chillin' With My Peeps

I have 8 boxes for my 50 hens, and only about 5 lay in the boxes....The rest found a corner of the barn with some straw and lay there. CRAZY CHICKENS!!!!!!!!!![​IMG]

10. bills

bills Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2008
    vancouver island
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] I can just picture that! All crammed into one nest box, it would look like a three headed hen.

That three hens per box rule of thumb might be for "very large" flocks of layers, because it doesn't seem to hold true to the owners of smaller flocks, from all I've seen. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by