13 week old black copper Marans sitting a lot

I get it! Sometimes (especially in today's retail market) you have to go with what you can find!

For the vitamins, I just pop the pills (one at a time) in the beak and let them swallow. Easiest way I know of doing it.
Thank you! It’s been 40 years since I had chickens and it seems to have gotten a lot more complicated 🤪 but the ladies have gotten a lot prettier too

Hey may have early signs of mareks. If he hasn't got worse probably not. Separating him like you've done and giving him vitamins is a great way to help him hopefully recover from whatever he has. Goodluck hopefully he recovers

Hey may have early signs of mareks. If he hasn't got worse probably not. Separating him like you've done and giving him vitamins is a great way to help him hopefully recover from whatever he has. Goodluck hopefully he recovers
Thank you! He was supposed to be vaccinated by Meyers Hatchery before being shipped so I don’t think that is the problem, at least I really hope not.

For Everyone that’s been so helpful…. Hubby and I carefully pulled the pin feather. It did bleed some but not too much. We sprayed it with Blue. Back in the pen at first he didn’t shake and I was ecstatic,but after a little while he started to again. I’m going to leave him in the pen for the rest of the day and see how it goes. I’ll let you guys know tomorrow if it really helped. I am starting him on the vitamins and some of the enzymes in the water to help with the stress. Thank you all!

For Everyone that’s been so helpful…. Hubby and I carefully pulled the pin feather. It did bleed some but not too much. We sprayed it with Blue. Back in the pen at first he didn’t shake and I was ecstatic,but after a little while he started to again. I’m going to leave him in the pen for the rest of the day and see how it goes. I’ll let you guys know tomorrow if it really helped. I am starting him on the vitamins and some of the enzymes in the water to help with the stress. Thank you all!
I was so hoping pulling the feather would make a big difference.
Please keep us posted on how he's getting along.

I was so hoping pulling the feather would make a big difference.
Please keep us posted on how he's getting along.
He’s still shaking when he walks but seems better standing. Is eating and drinking some but not much. Beak looks a little funny to me- attaching a picture. Also, wondering if he’s not seeing well. I tried to give him some chopped zucchini in my hand and he couldn’t seem to pick up a piece out of my hand or off the ground where he knocked them off.

Attachments

• B397ECA5-03F3-41CB-9E45-E39690537250.jpeg
    B397ECA5-03F3-41CB-9E45-E39690537250.jpeg
    358.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 54FDD82D-C74D-40B7-9633-330794A882DB.jpeg
    54FDD82D-C74D-40B7-9633-330794A882DB.jpeg
    326.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 1D208D0F-24F6-40A7-AF75-69A46C39081B.jpeg
    1D208D0F-24F6-40A7-AF75-69A46C39081B.jpeg
    312.1 KB · Views: 3
After dark, grab a flashlight and shine the light into one of his eyes. Watch carefully to see if the pupil will shrink and dilate again when you remove the light. Repeat with his other eye.

His beak appears unusually long for a Marans. When feeling sick/weak, they will not grind down their beaks as they would normally do and the face appears narrower and elongated.

Back
Top Bottom